Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am not new to betta keeping, I am well aware of single betta fish requirements (water temp, tank size, safe decor vs unsafe, substrate, water conditioning, cycling, etc). I am looking for a bit of a challenge now and don't know where to truly start (though I have ideas). I want to set up a betta sorority. Betta Babies from Petco seem like a good place to start. They would grow up together and be generally the same size... I know that size issues tend to cause fighting. I would be using any size tank from 15-20 gallons. Not sure how many girls that would hold. Also not sure how many you need to be successful. I am willing to go up a tank size or two for proper care. I haven't bought anything as of yet. It is also my understanding many plants, decor, etc. are needed to break up sightlines to avoid fighting. Not sure if that is true or not. I am an artist and would love to decorate fully anyway unless it would harm the fish.

OK, tl;dr

1. Should I start with baby bettas OR fully grown same size bettas?
2. How many bettas do you need to be successful?
3. What size tank would be appropriate? One inch per gallon, but see question 2.
4. By way of decor; lots or minimal?
5. Any additional information I should know? I don't know what I don't know...

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
830 Posts
1. Baby betta's. Ideally buy a group of 5 from a seller online that are siblings and grew up together or a sorority pack online. Petco baby betta's often end up as females and if you purchase from there you will most likely need to quarantine them all separately (that means 5 different cycled tanks, filters, heaters etc.). I have a friend that got a sorority from Petco and the babies came with parasites that wiped out the tank. This is why I would purchase from a breeder instead where they grew up together or were already together prior.
2. 5 bettas or an odd number like 7, 9 etc.
3. 20+ gal, ideally 30 or 55 gal
4. Lots-live plants necessary. Floating plants ideal. Will need more than 75% coverage.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Hello, a 20 gallon long will work for five females. Any number of females past five need not be an odd number in my opinion, though It rarely works long term with lower numbers than five because of pinpointed aggression against one fish. The more fish the more broken up aggression will be. if you do want more than five females then I would go for a 29 gallon kit or a 40 gallon breeder. Live plants are wonderful they help with water quality and the fish really seem to enjoy them, but they aren’t necessary to your success. Any soft silk or plastic plants can look great as well and be safe for your fish. The marineland 3 foot bamboo fake plant is very soft and the extra length floats on the top of the water. It’s been a real hit with my bettas And the goldfish like the top cover too. Makes them feel safe from predators.
I do agree that if you get adult females please please quarantine them separately. It will save you heartache. The easiest sororities I’ve had are the females that grew up together. Every once in awhile someone still gets nippy though. It’s normally short lived and they are all about mature now but housing a sorority will always be a risk.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
After re reading my post I wanted to say I have several of the bamboo in different tanks and I dont have any goldfish or bettas housed together lol. Something else, if you get hides or decor make sure there is more than one opening, a back door to escape. if one of them gets cornered in a hide with out a way to escape it can get kinda ugly. It can still get tense over a hide or favorite plant once territory has been claimed but having a way to escape the confrontation is ideal for whichever one backs down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.