Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading up a bit on sororities on this forum (not done with the long thread on the subject yet), I'm very tempted to trun my 20g long into a sorority once I move my community fish over to the 55g (hopefully next week). The tank will still have 4 otos which will be staying. The filter is a bit over kill Aquaclear 70, but I've used foam over the intake and output to reduce flow for a previous betta resident (no longer with us) hat was a long finned male and he did fine. Tank is heated, but I will be redoing hardscape (rocks or wood.. still deciding) and live plants before getting the girls.

QUESTIONS:
I plant to get several females (possibly the whole group) at once and float them in cups in a heated quarantine tank to keep their water warm, and dose Seachem Prime to bind ammonia, doing frequent water changes in their cups to keep 'em clean. Will the girls get stressed being by each other in cups with no hiding places? I'm talking about using small pet store cups.. this is only for 10-14 days (or up to 21) to ensure no one is sick before they all go into the sorority together. Has anyone quarantined several girls together in this style before?
How many girls should I get for a 20g long (with 4 otos and a large filter Aqauclear 70 (baffled))? I know 4-6 is a commonly given 'minimum' but what about a maximum#? Without getting too many that no one can have some private space?
For meds I have API AQ salt, Methylene blue, Paragarud, Melafix (was told this is bad for bettas though), and Kordon Rid Fungus. Are there any other meds I should get?
I've heard about Velvet but fortunately not run into it yet *knocks on all available wood objects*. What medicine/specific brand is most recommended by betta owners for Velvet?

Ohh almost forgot to ask.. I have leftover ghost wood from setting up my 55g, its a rough wood with crevices and rough edges.. Are female betta fins are prone to easy ripping from decor as males?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Will the girls get stressed being by each other in cups with no hiding places? - personally being in the cups will stress them out more than being close to other females. You really should try to get a bunch of 1.5 gallon kritter keepers (pet keepers) to act as QT tanks. Just so you know, if your sorority does not work out, you need to have some type of plan to separate them. Either dividers or separate tanks or something else. I've never QT bettas in that style but it concerns me a lot since 10 days in a lot of time for the fish to be in those cups.

How many girls should I get for a 20g long (with 4 otos and a large filter Aqauclear 70 (baffled))?
actually 5-7 is the minimum but more is not necessarily better. I would say for your tank I would have no more than 6 or 7. I found that if you have less bettas with more space in the tank the more likely the sorority will work out. Keep in mind how much you plant the tank. If you look down the tank long ways you should not be able to see to the other side of the tank, except for maybe an inch or two at the top.

Are there any other meds I should get?
You should get Epsom Salt, API General Cure, and Seachem Kanaplex

What medicine/specific brand is most recommended by betta owners for Velvet?
Velvet is actually very rare, I've never really had a case of it at all. You need a medicine that has copper sulfate in it - like CooperSafe. I also think that Seachem carries a medicine with copper in it.

Are female betta fins are prone to easy ripping from decor as males?
yes, i have had females that ripped their fins on decor.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Will the girls get stressed being by each other in cups with no hiding places? - personally being in the cups will stress them out more than being close to other females. You really should try to get a bunch of 1.5 gallon kritter keepers (pet keepers) to act as QT tanks. Just so you know, if your sorority does not work out, you need to have some type of plan to separate them. Either dividers or separate tanks or something else. I've never QT bettas in that style but it concerns me a lot since 10 days in a lot of time for the fish to be in those cups.

How many girls should I get for a 20g long (with 4 otos and a large filter Aqauclear 70 (baffled))?
actually 5-7 is the minimum but more is not necessarily better. I would say for your tank I would have no more than 6 or 7. I found that if you have less bettas with more space in the tank the more likely the sorority will work out. Keep in mind how much you plant the tank. If you look down the tank long ways you should not be able to see to the other side of the tank, except for maybe an inch or two at the top.

Are there any other meds I should get?
You should get Epsom Salt, API General Cure, and Seachem Kanaplex

What medicine/specific brand is most recommended by betta owners for Velvet?
Velvet is actually very rare, I've never really had a case of it at all. You need a medicine that has copper sulfate in it - like CooperSafe. I also think that Seachem carries a medicine with copper in it.

Are female betta fins are prone to easy ripping from decor as males?
yes, i have had females that ripped their fins on decor.
Thank you for the input and suggestions!
My reasoning for the cups in a qt tank was to keep them heated, I don't trust the tiny tank "betta heaters" not to cook or electrocute fish which is why I had not considered the 'critter keeper'.. The house is too cold for them to be unheated (tank temp would be 68-70F w/o a heater). So I'm looking for a method to share heat but not water between them all (in case someone brought a nasty disease with them). I may see if I can find something slightly larger to hold them, but I can't fit enough critter keepers into the qt tank to be viable... guess I can try strapping a few to the qt, 20g, and the 55g for heat would have to re-arrange 20g after to ensure those girls don't get per-territorial.. wonder how I'd tie them on to keep them from sinking and 'drowning' the girls.. hmm

edit: oo I know! I have a cut up long tupperware tub I can put water in and heat then put girls in larger containers in there to keep heated.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Yes, i think if you kept them in larger tupperware containers for the QT period that would be better.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
You can also cut the tops off a bunch of 2l pop bottles, fill them, and set them in a ten gallon tank filled with enough water to cover the heater- the volume is large enough to keep them safe, at least a lot better than in cups.

I also have to disagree about the numbers- more IS typically better, and you could easily do ten to fifteen fish in that tank, though it will look crowded.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, i think if you kept them in larger tupperware containers for the QT period that would be better.
K thanks for the input ^^

You can also cut the tops off a bunch of 2l pop bottles, fill them, and set them in a ten gallon tank filled with enough water to cover the heater- the volume is large enough to keep them safe, at least a lot better than in cups.

I also have to disagree about the numbers- more IS typically better, and you could easily do ten to fifteen fish in that tank, though it will look crowded.
Like the bottle idea! Too bad I usually drink the tiny soda cans don't have any empty big liter bottles laying around at the moment (never can finish those before they go flat), but certainly gettable and cheaper/less space taken up with those. Like the idea of something set on the bottom better then attempting to float (and possibly have sink).
Don't think I'd get 15 x,x my lfs have crappy selection so I'll probably have to buy online and that would add up quickly.

·
Registered
627 Posts
+1 to MattsBettas on the numbers thing. In my somewhat limited experience, more is not a guarantee of success but it definitely does increase the odds of success. My sorority seems to be happiest slightly overstocked (according to AqAdvisor anyway).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agree with those who advocate 'more is better.' My current sorority is 17 girls in a 29 gallon long. Planted jungle-dense. It's been thriving, knock wood, for just shy of a year and there's not a nipped fin in the lot. All those jewel-toned colors against all that green makes a stunning display and it is my favorite tank, and for my guests as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts