Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have heard that female sorority fish live shorter lives compared to their solitary counter parts.I have also heard the same about divided tanks as they can see each other.I have heard of people using pond filters as dividers so that would solve that but then you have to account for equal filtration and heating on each side not to mention if a Betta tries to jump over.Basically Have any of you have kept a sorority or divided tank and how long your Betta fish lived.I have bought two ten gallons and will probably just get two Betta fish with no companions whatsoever as it is difficult to feed more than one type of food to a Betta and a example snail or tetras.Also would one Betta fish would excrete enough ammonia by itself to keep up with the nitrogen cycle so the bacteria colonies would survive?If any of you have tips on the possible problems above I would greatly appreciate it.Thanks for reading this long paragraph I appreciate it.:-D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
well I have two divided tanks, and the oldest fish I have in there just turned 2 years old.

But I also have undivided tanks, I like undivided better . I think it looks better.
But the fish's behavior and lifespan has always been the same for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing your experience I'll probably just keep each Berta in their individual 10 gallon now the next problem will be choosing just two cuties I'll try to keep you all updated:-D

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Genetics plays a greater role in longevity than a divided tank, in my opinion. The stresses of a sorority might shorten lives.

The cycling bacteria colony in any tank will grow just large enough to oxidize all the ammonia produced by the livestock -- no more, no less.

By time you plant a 10g, the plants would do most of the work and the bacteria would just be around for back-up. But a nicely built 10g set-up is heaven for a Betta.

Amazing, how do you get those rocks to float just under the surface of your bare-bottom tank?

J/K

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol sorry the picture uploaded upside down for some reason I'm going to wait till the 8th when petco has 20% off all live plants and fish as planted aquariums can get pricey when wanting to moderately plant it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm not sure a divider would impact lives too much- the fish can get away from each other when they don't want to flare. Sororities do impact lifespans. I had one crash after a year, and another never got off the ground. The girls just kept dying. I gave up after that and divided my tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts