Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this can be a big debate. I hate seeing all the fish at the pet store. So I tried to have a betta sorority. It took a LOT of careful watching. A tank upgrade. And time. I was able to get them as babies and let them get used to each other and made sure they were not stressed. My snail kept laying eggs. I raised the water thinking it wasn’t too high. I was wrong. Some bettas leaped out. (Me now feeling like a murder) I have two very happy fish left. It’s been a couple weeks. I wanted to make sure water was okay and fish weren’t sick and it was just the water level. Sometimes these two nudge the other one out of the way but no chasing and it’s only when they are on “there area” .. so now I’m worried. Do I try to find more the same size and not the same color to recreate the monarchy. Or do I leave these two be??? I’ve heard if there’s no chain over time they can become aggressive towards each other. I found a new home for the snails and will be getting a lid today.

·
Registered
10 adults betta, 2 spawns of baby betta.
12 Posts
A thing about sorority tank is:-
  • To fit them more than > 4 fish
  • Same/similar size. To avoid bullying the smaller ones.
  • It is actually better to have fishes that are actually from the same tank/spawn, to fit in the sorority tank.
  • Put more hiding spots in the tank.
P/s; I tried to have a sorority tank of different backgrounds of female betta fish back then but some are just too aggressive that I have to separate them like this for a while. It really depends on the fish's traits.

Water Purple Product Liquid Blue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A thing about sorority tank is:-
  • To fit them more than > 4 fish
  • Same/similar size. To avoid bullying the smaller ones.
  • It is actually better to have fishes that are actually from the same tank/spawn, to fit in the sorority tank.
  • Put more hiding spots in the tank.
P/s; I tried to have a sorority tank of different backgrounds of female betta fish back then but some are just too aggressive that I have to separate them like this for a while. It really depends on the fish's traits.

View attachment 1037394
Thank you!! I had to take one out for a little bit . I got 5 more plants and for now one more female, trying to find same size but they said they will have more later today and I got some driftwood, but after reading other posts I’m wondering if the fish is even female?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just reorganize the tank and get all the new girl bettas into the breeder tanks inside the main tank. Have them inside for a week and then add everyone in. They will fit and you probably will want to take the aggressive one out, but just wait. In a week everyone‘s status and order will be figure out. Or stop the sorority and divide the tank for each female with dividers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just reorganize the tank and get all the new girl bettas into the breeder tanks inside the main tank. Have them inside for a week and then add everyone in. They will fit and you probably will want to take the aggressive one out, but just wait. In a week everyone‘s status and order will be figure out. Or stop the sorority and divide the tank for each female with dividers.
I take a different approach with sororities. I add all the fish at once, no breeder boxes, and keep vigil all day. I find that the more confused they are when they get into the tank, the less likely they are to attack each other.

I know this can be a big debate. I hate seeing all the fish at the pet store. So I tried to have a betta sorority. It took a LOT of careful watching. A tank upgrade. And time. I was able to get them as babies and let them get used to each other and made sure they were not stressed. My snail kept laying eggs. I raised the water thinking it wasn’t too high. I was wrong. Some bettas leaped out. (Me now feeling like a murder) I have two very happy fish left. It’s been a couple weeks. I wanted to make sure water was okay and fish weren’t sick and it was just the water level. Sometimes these two nudge the other one out of the way but no chasing and it’s only when they are on “there area” .. so now I’m worried. Do I try to find more the same size and not the same color to recreate the monarchy. Or do I leave these two be??? I’ve heard if there’s no chain over time they can become aggressive towards each other. I found a new home for the snails and will be getting a lid today.
I once had a sorority where one fish died and the remaining fish immediately started ripping each other to shreds right afterward. Disruption in the pecking order by the loss/removal of a fish can throw things off tremendously. Take your girls out and add them back in with a few new fish if you only have two left if you're committed to the idea of a sorority.

Personally I find sororities to be a pain in the butt because they need constant monitoring. I'll only be doing same-spawn sororities from here on out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I added one more to help the monarchy. Haven’t seen any so far that are healthy enough or same size yet. Will definitely do the same spawn in the future. I’ve had to take them out and back in a few times. They seemed calm all day and then the last hour were not being nice so I’m nervous but we will see. Luckily I’m home until next Tuesday and can at least watch closely and check on them more the rest of the week. I added a lot of plants too and will prob get more tomorrow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts