Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!
I’ve had my betta, Vito, for 2 years now. He’s a koi betta, so I know he’s prone to small scale tumors. He’s living in a 10 gallon tank by himself. The parameters are within normal with the exception of salinity (more on that in a minute).

He was fine until I got COVID. I was rundown and didn’t clean his tank at the usual time. I cleaned his (admittedly dirty) tank around Oct. 20. A couple of days later I noticed he had slightly ragged fins. I chalked it up to not properly cleaning the tank, felt guilty, and continued forward, going back to cleaning his tank as usual.

Not long afterward, he started getting bloated. I tried fasting him and giving him daphnia to no avail. His appetite started decreasing and he wouldn’t come out for breakfast in the morning like he usually does. Vito knows his name and typically came out when I turn his light on.

He also stopped building large bubble nests. Vito LOVES his nests and almost always builds one after I clean his tank.

On Sunday I noticed a couple spots on his side that almost look like pearls. I freaked out, took some pictures, cried in fear, and went to the petco near my house. I don’t have a local fish store and this petco has very knowledgeable employees. The girl there said it didn’t look like a tumor.

I bought some API Pimafix and Melafix, went home, did a water change, and started dosing with these according to the instructions.

Vito perked up a little that evening and started building a small bubble nest. He still only eats if the food is dropped in front of him, is still bloated, is still lethargic, and still has those little bubbles on his side.

I think he’s returning to normal but am wondering what else I can do to help him. I haven’t done an epsom salt bath as it makes me a little nervous to put him in so much salt…. Has anyone tried that for constipation?

Any and all advice is appreciated. If you think he’s in serious trouble, please put it gently or just tell me to keep doing what I’m doing. I’m really worried for the little guy and already feel responsible.

A couple of these pictures are a couple days old and I’ll post more if he moves to a better spot.

Thanks
Green Water Botany Organism Liquid
Plant Leaf Botany Flower Terrestrial plant
Plant Purple Leaf Wood Violet
Plant Reptile Leaf Lizard Scaled reptile
Plant Green Reptile Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gal
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 deg. F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega one, bug bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes (omega one betta buffet and bug bites
Freeze-dried? Some blood worms and daphnia
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Usually twice a day, now only once, a couple of flakes (if he’ll eat them)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1-2 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? Tap, conditioned
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Stress coat

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0-0.5 ppm
Nitrate: 0-20 ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness (GH): 60
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 3 weeks
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Bloated with two small bumps
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic, low appetite, less bubble nests
Is your Betta still eating? Only a little bit
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, aquarium slat, Pimafix, Melafix
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Had slight ammonia burns after an overstocked tank over 6 months ago
How long have you owned your Betta? 2 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi everyone!
I’ve had my betta, Vito, for 2 years now. He’s a koi betta, so I know he’s prone to small scale tumors. He’s living in a 10 gallon tank by himself. The parameters are within normal with the exception of salinity (more on that in a minute).

He was fine until I got COVID. I was rundown and didn’t clean his tank at the usual time. I cleaned his (admittedly dirty) tank around Oct. 20. A couple of days later I noticed he had slightly ragged fins. I chalked it up to not properly cleaning the tank, felt guilty, and continued forward, going back to cleaning his tank as usual.

Not long afterward, he started getting bloated. I tried fasting him and giving him daphnia to no avail. His appetite started decreasing and he wouldn’t come out for breakfast in the morning like he usually does. Vito knows his name and typically came out when I turn his light on.

He also stopped building large bubble nests. Vito LOVES his nests and almost always builds one after I clean his tank.

On Sunday I noticed a couple spots on his side that almost look like pearls. I freaked out, took some pictures, cried in fear, and went to the petco near my house. I don’t have a local fish store and this petco has very knowledgeable employees. The girl there said it didn’t look like a tumor.

I bought some API Pimafix and Melafix, went home, did a water change, and started dosing with these according to the instructions.

Vito perked up a little that evening and started building a small bubble nest. He still only eats if the food is dropped in front of him, is still bloated, is still lethargic, and still has those little bubbles on his side.

I think he’s returning to normal but am wondering what else I can do to help him. I haven’t done an epsom salt bath as it makes me a little nervous to put him in so much salt…. Has anyone tried that for constipation?

Any and all advice is appreciated. If you think he’s in serious trouble, please put it gently or just tell me to keep doing what I’m doing. I’m really worried for the little guy and already feel responsible.

A couple of these pictures are a couple days old and I’ll post more if he moves to a better spot.

Thanks
View attachment 1036156 View attachment 1036157 View attachment 1036158 View attachment 1036159 View attachment 1036160

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gal
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 deg. F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega one, bug bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes (omega one betta buffet and bug bites
Freeze-dried? Some blood worms and daphnia
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Usually twice a day, now only once, a couple of flakes (if he’ll eat them)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1-2 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? Tap, conditioned
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Stress coat

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0-0.5 ppm
Nitrate: 0-20 ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness (GH): 60
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 3 weeks
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Bloated with two small bumps
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic, low appetite, less bubble nests
Is your Betta still eating? Only a little bit
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, aquarium slat, Pimafix, Melafix
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Had slight ammonia burns after an overstocked tank over 6 months ago
How long have you owned your Betta? 2 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No
Any ammonia and/or nitrite in your tank means 50% water changes straight away until it'd down to zero. If you have it Seachem Prime will detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for about 24 hours giving you time to deal with it. An Indian Almond leaf will reduce stress and has anti fungal properties so will help your Betta feel less stressed. I don't know what the growths on him are but hopefully water changes will help
I hope he starts feeling better soon.

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 5 Snails, 5 Shrimp, 1 Mouse, 2 Hissing roaches
716 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Vito has to be one of the prettiest koi bettas I've ever seen!!

I'm sorry to hear he isn't doing well though.

Since your Nitrites and all can be anywhere from 0 to the other given number, try daily 25% water changes to be on the safe side for a few days. Those can't hurt anything.
And I do agree, put in an IAL or two if you have them.

The growths do look like some sort of tumour or something. Sadly, we can't really do much for those. If they happen to burst just keep an eye out on him for infections.

For his bloating, you can do epsom. I have used epsom many times, the only thing you need to watch for though is that some fish don't handle salt well. Though since you've used aquarium salts on him already, he should be fine with epsom.

Hope Vito starts feeling better soon!

Reactions: TimeKeeper2131

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both-
I’ll get an IAL tomorrow and do water changes in the meantime. I wanted to keep those low since the medications say not to change a lot of water for the 7 day course.

(Just because love my boy… He’s named after Vito Corleone of The Godfather and when he was little he was a completely different color!)

What do you recommend for an epsom salt bath? Any ratio?
Plant Fin Terrestrial plant Fish Aquatic plant

Water Green Azure Fin Underwater

·
Registered
716 Posts
Wow he changed!!

For the ratio. For a bath it's generally 1 tablespoon per gallon.
You can do a lesser amount at 1 teaspoon a gallon too if you'd like to start out smaller.
You'll want to keep him in there for 12-15minutes. 15 being for more severe issues. Make sure to have your second container as well. After the initial salt bath, put him in there for 2-5mins (base it of as if you did 12min bath, it's 2mins in the second container) then you can put him back in his tank. The second container is part salt and part tank water.

You can do baths daily. If you would like to go that route, but you don't want to do it for over 2 weeks since like any medication it starts becoming ineffective after a while.
And usually one or two baths is enough to help constipation.

Reactions: TimeKeeper2131

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We just had our first bath. He did not like it… nets are not friends… However, one of the bubbles on him burst, and, if I’m correct, there seems to be some poo laying around… fingers crossed. Updates coming soon.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Watch for infection with the popped bubble, and hopefully it won't come back.

That's good! I hope that helps him!

·
Registered
716 Posts
He has moved more in the last half hour than he has in the 48 prior. This bath was only 1 tsp so I’ll probably do 2 tsp tomorrow. He’s already back to building a nest, too!
I'm glad to hear he's doing better!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again-
Here’s a new picture from during his second bath today. During the bath he pretty much just lays there unless he comes up for air.

I’ve drawn a red arrow pointing to the “bubble” that popped yesterday. No infection thus far.

The blue arrow are pointing to a couple of white spots I wasn’t worried about until now. If I remember correctly, they’ve been there for a long time. I think it’s just scale coloring but want to make sure it’s not a fungus. Your thoughts?

Creative arts Feather Art Paint Wing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi again-
Here’s a new picture from during his second bath today. During the bath he pretty much just lays there unless he comes up for air.

I’ve drawn a red arrow pointing to the “bubble” that popped yesterday. No infection thus far.

The blue arrow are pointing to a couple of white spots I wasn’t worried about until now. If I remember correctly, they’ve been there for a long time. I think it’s just scale coloring but want to make sure it’s not a fungus. Your thoughts?

Hi again-

View attachment 1036302
Also… just noticed this reddish spot on his side… coloring? Sorry I’m so paranoid…

(he does tend to lay there when he’s stressed #netssuck)

Water Vertebrate Organism Body of water Watercourse

·
Registered
716 Posts
No need to apologize, and sometimes it's good to be paranoid. You can catch things sooner if needed. No worries! 🙂

Are the white spots flat? Or are they raised and sort of fuzzy looking?
Raised and fuzzy looking is not good, usually means fungus. Not raised is generally colouring and nothing to worry about.

That's good there's no infection.

The red spot.
Does it look like his scales? Or does it look like skin?
Scales is colouring, skin means he tore off some scales. If he did tear off scales don't fret, just watch for infection with that. They'll grow back in time!

(Nets are awful, poor baby)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No need to apologize, and sometimes it's good to be paranoid. You can catch things sooner if needed. No worries! 🙂

Are the white spots flat? Or are they raised and sort of fuzzy looking?
Raised and fuzzy looking is not good, usually means fungus. Not raised is generally colouring and nothing to worry about.

That's good there's no infection.

The red spot.
Does it look like his scales? Or does it look like skin?
Scales is colouring, skin means he tore off some scales. If he did tear off scales don't fret, just watch for infection with that. They'll grow back in time!

(Nets are awful, poor baby)
I’m going to take another look at the red spot. I can’t decide if the white spots are fuzzy looking or not. Maybe I’m just in denial? I have already been treating with the API anti fungal (Pimafix or Melafix I’m not sure. He’s done with that now though.
I’m thinking of ordering some API general cure as well. Better safe than sorry?

·
Registered
716 Posts
If he's had it for a while and you've treated with antifungal already and there was no change to it, I think we can safely assume it's just colour!
But if it is raised and fuzzy then yes, do start meds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If he's had it for a while and you've treated with antifungal already and there was no change to it, I think we can safely assume it's just colour!
But if it is raised and fuzzy then yes, do start meds.
I found this picture from a month ago- the spots are smaller but present so I think it’s coloring!

also, my grumpy boy (a month ago)

Liquid Underwater Fin Organism Marine biology

Bird Phasianidae Beak Galliformes Peafowl

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yep, looks like his colouring!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, looks like his colouring!
I also got a better look at the red spot - just that marble gene making me paranoid again! He’s back to building his nest so I’m going to stop messing with him so much and just do some small meals and water changes for the next week or so. Hopefully he can move to my new house with me next weekend (thank God for little sisters who will feed your fish while you’re living in another town)!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts