Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! New to this forum and Betta care. 馃憢

I've had Luca for about 3 months now, and I just love him! He's a very happy boy and quite active. When I purchased him, he came in a small cup (sad, but typical), and the pet store said he was a Veiltail. I couldn't tell, as his fins were clamped in the cup. But after I brought him home and put him in his new tank, he was able to spread out his fins and didn't quite look like a Veiltail!

I've done a bit of research and I believe Luca is actually a Spadetail Betta.

I'd love your opinion on what you think he is!

Thank you fellow Betta lovers,

Lauren & Luca 馃悷

Super Moderator
Sorry, spade tails are usually young VTs. When their caudal grow to the maximum length, it will be like most VT. So the store didn't mislabel him.

Spade is said to be F2 from VT x HM cross.

Registered
Sorry, spade tails are usually young VTs. When their caudal grow to the maximum length, it will be like most VT. So the store didn't mislabel him.

Spade is said to be F2 from VT x HM cross.

Hmm. I have a different experience. Yes, many veils go through a spadetail phase before maturing as veils, and perhaps Luca will be one of them, but there are also geno/pheno spades (ss) that remain so as adults. My sources suggested it is simple recessive to veil. I have personally produced them from a veil x veil mating and the numbers corresponded to simple [email protected]% of the spawn. They remained spades as adults.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest, the petstore I purchased him from didn't seem to know much about Betta fish in general and couldn't answer most of my questions when I was there so I don't 100% faith in that conversation.

Regardless, how old does he have to be to know if he is a true Spadetail?

Super Moderator
Yes, spade tail can be isolated to breed true. And is quite recessive against VT. However they were created from VT x HM/SDeT spawns. I have never heard spades maintaining their form until old age though. It would be nice if it were - more fin shape to choose from.

VT Fins are usually fully grown after 6 months. Breeders usually sell their fish at 4 months. VTs are sometimes sold after fins fully develop.

Registered
Not to beat a dead horse--I mean, fish...

I don't doubt that you are correct that spadetails were and can be produced from VT x HM/SdeT matings. I would suggest, though, that that is not the only way to arrive at a spadetail given that the spadetail is in the genetic matrix for wild Betta splendens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.