Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just today, I combined two of my boys in a divided 5.5 gallon tank. This leaves me with not one, not two, but THREE spare tanks, assuming the patch-up job I did on the cracked 3 gallon I got for $10 holds. (It was a very small crack.) I also have spare gravel, spare silk plants, more than enough live plants to go around, and two spare 50W heaters. There is one gorgeous little marble and one stunning dragon scale red-finned DT at the PetCo in Woodbury, but I REALLY do not need a seventh fish. I keep thinking about that dragon scale, as I have never had a dragon scale and could use some more red in my tanks.
This is not good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2.5 gallon that isn't in use and I keep seeing betta I really like but college only allows one tank so... I can't give in to temptation yet because it would end up in the 2.5 with no one to care for it for months while I was gone.... Which would be super unfair to it and would likely end with a very dead betta. But as soon as I graduate...

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I have a 3 gallon finnex tank and a 4/5 gallon do-aqua. The only thing that's stopping me from hoarding fish is the lack of surfaces i have for the tanks to sit on!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
my spare tank syndrome is so bad that I lasted 16 hours with an spare tank before I bought a new fish.... I upgraded one of my fish from a old plastic unfiltered 2.5 gallon tank I had to a filtered 2.5 gallon tank. 16 hours later I had a new fish in the old tank. 3 days later I upgraded that fish.

needless to say I threw the old tank out because I didn't have room for more fish and I didn't trust myself.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I found a wall outlet hidden behind a book shelf and have been trying to figure out how to get a "plant only tank" to fit over there. It's by a window, so I haven't done it in case I "accidentally" buy a fish for it. I think if I could keep the temperature stable, I could move the otos over... and Mr. Fish could go over, too, and Mrs. Fish could move to the 10 gallon and the 2.5 could become a hospital tank. If only I had the money.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah I have Arthur's old 5 gallon just sitting in my spare room and staring at me. I'd like to try out a hoodless plant tank with that though, so it will need to wait until I can afford a good clip on plant light, a co2 system and some more substrate. And plants. And, likely, once it's mature, a new dennerle nano filter and an adjustable clear hood, and a pretty fish. I already have enough spare sponge filters, heaters, silk plants and old gravel to go and buy a Betta tomorrow for that tank if I wanted, but I think I'd rather save and take the time to practice with plants, since I eventually want a large beautifully planted community tank.

It does sort of stare at me though, all empty and 5 gallony.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have 2 ten gallons & a 20 long sitting empty. I'd love to fill them with fish but I just don't have the time to maintain them. One of the tens will most likely end up being a permanent hospital tank. I was using a 2.5 gallon but I have some pretty decent sized fish now and the smaller tank really wouldn't be appropriate for use as treatment tank. Besides it's easier to dose medication in a 10.

The other 10 gallon is a off & on quarantine tank. I really should keep it up and running but it's too much of a hassle. The 20 long will most likely end up being a divided betta tank in the next few months.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this! I have the time to keep another- I actually went down a tank after dividing and was doing fine before- but I really shouldn't. I keep thinking about a lovely red finned dragon scale I saw at PetCo that would look amazing with my spare black gravel...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got a 10 Gal tank for $5 at a garage sale, only to find out once I had removed all the hermit crab stuff and cleaned it, there was a 'DO NOT FILL WITH WATER' sticker on the bottom. It's disappointing, as I spent 3 hours scrubbing the last of the hermit crab substrate out of that thing. It's like they never cleaned it. I was planning to do a full-out NPT with some ADFs... Lesson learned: Don't buy a tank that's made to have a reptile hood, it's a sign... A terrible sign.:roll:

Cant even get a lizard for it, as they're not allowed where I live, and most need a 20 gallon anyhow.

Someday, I plan to find a use for it. :cool:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I actually have empty tanks with no plans to fill them. What limits my previous urge to get more is time. I realize I only have so much time to care for my fish. So instead of coming home with more fish I feel bad every time I see a beautiful betta I cannot take home. I am currently trying to talk myself into the idea that one fish is enough for 75 gallon. She will be 8 to 10 inches in the long run so it is the right size tank but she could have betta temperment toward other fish and I like her. Buying another fish to fill the tank will put her at risk for disease. I probably will have to turn my desires toward making prettier tanks without new fish.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If yoou're addressing my post they definitely will be lunch. It will be hard but I think I am going to keep the one fish because I won't have to worry that while I am on vacation she will get hungry and eat the other fish. I will try to look forward to her big size. You know I just saw a giant gourami. Anyone reading this should go on you tube and look them up. They are like plakat bettas on steroids. I wish i had the time and space to get one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hahaha.... Two days ago I said that I had a spare 2.5 and couldn't get another betta due to college restrictions. Guess who fell in love and got another betta. XD

My roommate has agreed that if anyone questions it Mutie is her fish but we don't think anyone will ask since probably no one cares.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sleepkity-Wow your yellow betta is pretty! I could see having trouble passing up that betta!
Ah, thank you! That's Ra and not my new betta though, I've had him for close to 6 months.

The betta I picked up this morning is Mutie, this pretty boy~ I haven't really gotten any good pictures of him yet since he's a bit skittish at the moment.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.