Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so after conditioning my pair I went on ahead and threw them in the spawning tank last night. I was going to wait a little longer, but they were both doing & eating so well, the female has been eggy since she arrived, and my dad (who also breeds various freshwater fish, and bettas as a child) assured me that it would be alright.

Anyway, so far everything is going amazingly. Put Zira in a clear plastic breeding trap last night, and she barred up nearly the moment she hit the water. Rafiki also is doing good as gold so far, and started working on a nest not even a half hour later. They rested last night, but the moment that light turned on this morning he's back to nesting. I would like to wait until the nest is slightly more sizeable before I release, just to avoid distracting him for a bit longer! My plan is to release in about an hour.

Rafiki

Zira (First two photos before her marbling changed)

In the spawning tank: 10g, loaded with live plants, floraglow lightbulb, 83f temp, IAL, wax paper nest anchor, floating driftwood.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're spawning as I type! Got some HD video. I'm so nervous! I think I see him spitting them in the nest, but I'm not sure...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
lol ooo the fun is just beginning!! **grabs popcorn and watches**

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This pair is so amazing. Rafiki is so tender with her, not a tear on either one-- both mom and dad are picking up and spitting eggs into the nest. She's dropping in small amounts, so they're still at it! It's so funny watching how frustrated they get when an embrace is wrong.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I know! I giggled when I saw my two go at it. Mom's that help are kinda special, most just eat their eggs. It's so cute to watch them tag team the tank bottom looking for eggs

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Female removed, neither fish suffered physical damage of any kind. Pretty fantastic. Mom is recovering from her long morning in a 3g, and dad is being very tentative towards the nest.

Anyone want to see footage of the spawn?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
yeah!!!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
wow, they are even prettier in the video. They shimmer so much!

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Grow them up fast :) I need some CTs for the New Breeder class for the fall shows xD

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grow them up fast :) I need some CTs for the New Breeder class for the fall shows xD
Of course! xD

--Dad looks a bit bloated this evening, which has me nervous. I think there are still eggs in the nest though...They should hatch tomorrow, guess we'll find out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Fish are lovely. I'm so glad you took the link I offered and found them. I can't wait till they grow up. :D I'm starting my spawn in a week or so. So excited.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Beautiful!Good luck!Those eggs were HUGE so hopefully you will have some nice big strong babies :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts