1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Male:
Water Vertebrate Plant Natural environment Fin

Female:
Water Underwater Fin Organism Fish supply
Her form looks nicer than the picture. She didn’t want to hold still for me. Yellow with some faint black spotting.

Spawn Date: October 30th
Wood Sunlight Grass Plant Landscape
Daddy Cosmo under a huge bubble nest.I watched for a while and I saw 6 or 7 wraps with an average of 7 eggs released per coupling. And I know they were at it both before and after a was watching, so might be a sizable spawn!

Stay tuned for results!

· Registered
4,948 Posts
Looking forward to updates! Following!

· Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
4,414 Posts
You are so lucky...! Huge bubble nest....and beautifull bettas!!!! Looking forward to updates, and a lot more photos!! ;)

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’ll be 72 hours this evening and I haven’t seen any wigglers yet… getting nervous. It was their first attempt so I guess I should expect that they might not have got it quite right. Male is still guarding and blowing the eggs back up into the nest if they fall. He did eat a few bites of food this morning, so at least he isn’t starving. Will update tonight.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There has to be close to 100 in this spawn.
I think there are more...!! 🤣
You might be right! I took a picture of a portion of the nest and counted. I got to 83 and that’s just what I can see in the unfocused picture on a PART of the nest. Daddy’s doing a good job. I feel bad for him he’s constantly swimming back and forth picking them up as they fall. When he puts one back in the nest and darts down to grab another, he knocks five out with us tail. At least he eats a little when I feed him. I’ve only been feeding him in the morning and just a few pellets because I dont want to foul the water.
I’m sure there will be a die-off when I take over x.x But even then might have over a hundred fry. I’m excited to see what they look like!

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About half of the fry are now free swimming. Bubble nest is nearly gone and the male has given up on putting the sinkers back up to the surface. I took him out for some much needed rest and turned up the heater for the fry. They needed it a bit warmer but I didn’t want to disturb the nest before now. Also gave the first feeding of microworm. I’ll also do the first water change tonight.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
5 days old and the fry are darting around the tub. I fed microworms twice yesterday and they were still alive this morning so no morning feeding. I plan on doing three small feedings a day and adding baby brine shrimp as two of those feedings at one week old. I’ve found one dead fry and the rest seem to be doing well. I keep thinking that there has to be more casualties but when I pass the turkey baster over the fry hanging out at the bottom, they dart away. I will update again at one week old unless something disastrous happens. There’s not much to look at right now!

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Day 7! Dad is fully recovered and built another bubble nest. He seems in good spirits! I could actually take a picture of the fry today. I think I’ll leave them in the spawning tub for a while longer. I had wanted to put them in a grow out tub at 1 week, but I’d never find them in there. First feeding of bbs is tonight. Hopefully they’ll have a growth spurt with all the extra nutrients.
Plant Light Automotive lighting Leaf Branch

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've never heard that before! If you try it please report back. I'm planning a spawn for March and might just give this a try too.
I definitely will! I’ll try to catch one every couple of days once they go into the growout tub and report when I start seeing color, with pics.
I added I video to my instagram of the fry today. I’m still supplementing with microworms even though I would like to go full bbs right about now. My home made hatchery isn’t reliable and I’m having trouble separating the cysts and shrimp. I have a dish hatchery ordered so hopefully that will help. I’m already seeing a bit of a size difference in the fry, which leads me to believe that the ones that manage to gobble up the bbs are growing faster. Small water changes every couple of days and business as usual!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.