Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The die off has happened or is still happening. I’ve found 5-8 dead fry. They’re all much smaller than the others, so I’m assuming that they just had some kind of defect. I’m not worried it’s the water or anything unless I start seeing larger fry dying. I counted them the other day and there were around 50 just that I could see without moving any plants, heater or filter. Since those places are where they prefer to hang out, I’m assuming I have three times that in there. They’re getting bbs two times a day and they love it. If anyone is thinking about getting a hatchery, definitely go with the dish kind. I’m getting great hatch rates and it separates the eggs amazingly. All with no air or heat.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Automotive tire Window Wood Shade Automotive lighting
Dark but LOTS of fry! I’ll be sending one of these guys out in 2-3 months. Since it’s my first time shipping fish, I’ll need to ship out a test fish. If someone on here wants a free betta (male or female, your choice) just pay shipping and I’ll send it if you’ll let me know how he/she looks when it arrives. Giving plenty of heads up in case a tank needs to cycle.

· Registered
4,948 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,989 Posts
As a natural instinct, bettas prefer darker or hidden places which makes them feel more secure (guessing). Hence stressed bettas are advised to be kept in the dark.

That being said, naturally fry would feel more secure and color up sooner if kept in the dark. However, bettas are very adaptive. If they are thriving under bright light, then they should color up.

IMO, since these are "show" fish, it is best to keep them under bright light since young. Changes from dark to bright at later age may stress some few individuals - though not for too long (adaptive).
. . . . . . . . . .

Try not to disturb/stress them in anyway. It should keep them docile much longer - long enough until it's time to re-home them.
Pro: no need to care individually and they gro faster
Con: fins will not develop as good as (or as fast as) isolated individuals. Cannot control an individual's eating habit (volume) - some may not get as much as others

BTW . . . .congrats on your success

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yessss Tex is back! That bright yellow/bright blue guy front and center looks like he'll (she'll?) be stunning.
There are several that look really interesting! One looks like an Oreo with a white band around its belly. I saw some nipping this morning so I might start cupping, but they look pretty small to me still. I’ll have to observe them for a while this afternoon to be sure.

· Registered
4,948 Posts
Welcome back Tex! Your bettas are absolutely STUNNING!!! They will turn out to be gorgeous fish.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Welcome back Tex! Your bettas are absolutely STUNNING!!! They will turn out to be gorgeous fish.
Thanks! I hope so! Marbles are so fun because you never know exactly what you’ll get. I’m hoping for some yellow/blue marbles but I think it won’t be likely.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Water Nature Purple Organism Wood

Water Plant Purple Organism Tree

Water Leaf Purple Wood Organism
Pictures without the biofilm! They change now every day. Smaller ones are are coloring in blue or white and then they start to marble. These pictures give a good idea of the whole spawn at the moment. I didnt see any more aggression so I’m still on track to start cupping in a month. I’ll update when more of them color up or if I start getting some crazy colors that I want to share! Let me know if you already have a favorite!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.