Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a pair I recently got off aquabid. At first I was super worried cause I thought the male was a little small but they figured it out quite well and with very minimal damage. The female only got a few nips and the male has none at all :) The spawn is in a 5 gal tub 3-4 inches high with water, java moss and oak leaves. They were conditioned for a week on bloodworms, pellets and a ton of live black worms. I never spwned in a container this small we will see how it goes also the first time I have ever used bbs (I could never find it where I used to live). Pics of parents (sorry I didnt get them flaring), container, and of the nest. Yay excitement!

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I'll need to grab a few from this spawn D:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I am excited about how they will turn out so far daddy is being good. He condensed the nest last night, he likes the nest tall lol it sticks out of the water a good 1/4- 1/2 inch now, looks like a lot of eggs.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Beautiful pair! I'm still working on form, and it looks like you already have it. Good luck with your spawn.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
LOL if there weren't eggs I would say they were both male, the females finnage is just incredible!!!Goodluck with the spawn, Keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gah the male has let the bubblenest shrink DX I hate it when they do that it makes me think he is eating the eggs or forgetting them

·
Registered
599 Posts
I know the feeling. ._. I wonder if there is some way to make artificial bubbles, maybe by mixing certain water-based substances together to make hardy bubbles that you can stick under the nest via airline.

Hmmmm.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I wish. It wouldnt suprise me if he did eat a bunch of eggs because they were bad sense they had a hard time spawning.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
*stalking

·
Registered
639 Posts
The number of bubbles in the nest is not important. Keeping the breeding tank covered helps keep them from dispersing. I have seen the nest disappear altogether and he still raised the brood.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is covered thats why I get the plastic containers they come with lids :p I got tired of fighting cling wrap.
Maybe 20 eggs I can see but there is always more then I can see so maybe 30?

·
Registered
639 Posts
If the nest disappears altogether you can drop the water level to minimum to keep the heater safe. Just try not to disturb the nest more than you have to.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far he is keepin it small but its still there... only 24 hrs max left. The other good thing is that I see no eggs on the bottom not sure if he is eating them but I doubt it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
So far he is keepin it small but its still there... only 24 hrs max left. The other good thing is that I see no eggs on the bottom not sure if he is eating them but I doubt it.
Should be fine. I really doubt he is eating eggs unless they are not fertilized? My Big Ear HM let the unfertilized ones lay on the bottom and still did not eat them.

If he is disturbed too much he may hold many of them in his mouth to try and hide them, or move them to another location. Try to give him his space during this time.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well they hatched (hatching) and I think daddy realized he needed more bubbles and now the nest is larger then ever lol.

And normally I see them sell for like 40$ a piece but that was the price of the pair so I had to grab it.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts