Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone- I've had my Betta (named Spike) for a little over a week now and after an upgrade to a 6 gallon tank(from 1g) addition of live plants. good water readings from tests, he finally seems happy and his water conditions are good. But- I've heard about the betta bubbles and I've yet to see one- they make them at the buttom of the tank right? How big are they and what do they look like? If he doesn't make any- does that mean he's unhappy- cause I don't want that! Please advise and thanks in advance--

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Betta build bubble nests even in the tiny cold cups at the pet store. It doesn't mean they are happy. It means they feel up to breeding.

I have my bettas in 10 gal, 78F tanks with lots of live plants, but I only have one guy who regularly builds nests. Having any surface movement will prevent/discourage them from building nests. It's not a bad thing that he doesn't build bubble nests.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bubbles are just a sign your betta feels horny that day, nothing more.

How strong is your filter? If your filter is too strong (creates currents atop the water) it may be destroying the bubbles on days he feels horny.

Bubbles float atop the water and look sorta like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qWshME7Ad4&feature=related bubble nest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufslxrwLifg&feature=related male in the act of building one
I laughed embarrassingly loud at the "horny" parts of that :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL Ok I've seen Spike up there and I've seen the bubble bank as I call it too- I thought that was something indicating I've had a water problem so I tested and everything was ok-LOL- what a dip I am!Good to know now- I'll watch for this activity now- must be that cute plant he's cozing up to she's a live one;-)

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Some of mine will only build a nest when there is a leaf or two floating on top- they will build under it.

Bettas build for breeding, territory, and even when a weather system is coming through- and we like to think for happiness, but fish don't become "happy" in the way we do.. Too hard/soft of water can play in it too, as bettas use a "spit" of theirs to have the bubbles hold form, but some water conditions will cause the bubbles to pop, etc.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I find that my boy Odysseus very rarely builds nests, but if I do want to prompt a flurry of bubbles, a water change with a fresh IAL seems to do the trick. :)
I've noticed a similar pattern with Rosso. He likes to build bubble nests a couple of days after water changes. As everyone has mentioned, bubble nests aren't exactly a show of happiness. In science we can measure happiness only by what people tell us. What a bubble nest can indicate is that your boy is healthy and ready to breed.

As mentioned before, strong currents can affect bubble nests and if your betta is still settling in, he may not be ready yet or maybe there is another factor affecting his bubble blowing. Keep in mind that all male bettas are not the same. Some bettas may not be very good and bubble blowing and you may see a small nest, whereas others may build huge nests.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Indiand Almond Leaf. :) It is a leaf that releases lovely tannins into the water that harden scales, make bubblenests more sticky and generally seem to make bettas healthier. They are especially nice for bettas that have been sick or are in the process of recovering. :)

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Nope. It can be a problem with high-light plants as the tannins colour the water and make it harder for light to penetrate. The leaves also float (at first), so the light can't get to plants underneath them. I have them in both of my low-light planted tanks with no problems for my plants, though. :)

You can get them on AquaBid and sometimes Amazon and Ebay. I get mine through my local aquarium club. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts