Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go away for 5 days to my sisters and then 2 days to dad and when I came home yesterday my poor crowntail Spike fins are in really bad shape. It happen in such a short time and my boyfriend never called me to tell me he was in bad shape, when he was doing water changes and feedings he noticed, but he said he thought the betta was getting old.
I'm treating with aquarium salt and doing daily water changes, have his tank set at 80F. but is there something else I can do for him? Please tell me if I guessed right that he does have fin rot?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what Spike looked like before picture is from last month sometime.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think he could have columnaris, looking at the white patch in front of the dorsal fin. here is the recommended treatment for that from this site.

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or ¾ water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100% every week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No I panicked and did a change before even thinking of checking.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment Fin rot maybe?
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nope still happy and eating normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just got home yesterday, no clue.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt, as listed in the betta illness thread.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 1/2 years

Also should I start API stress coat at the same time as the salt treatment?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think he could have columnaris, looking at the white patch in front of the dorsal fin. here is the recommended treatment for that from this site.

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or ¾ water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).
He doesn't have these symptoms Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air. He's acting like him self, only difference is his fin appearance. That's why I was thinking fin rot.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
He does have the saddleback which is the white patch before the Dorsal fin. That's what I thought when I saw that patch, but its your call.

hopefully someone else will also advise.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, it could be columnaris, I just want to see what others think. I guess I was really hoping for fin rot and nothing more serious. I just don't get how this happened. I freshly cleaned all my guys before I left, and boyfriend did the water change. Very worried for Spike.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's definitely not fin rot and it doesn't look like Columnaris to me and if it is, that's the thickest columnaris I've ever seen. However, it still looks like a bacterial infection to me so you can treat it like it is Columnaris which means to lower the water temperature if you can to mid to low 70's so the bacteria can stall their production and then using a antibiotic like Furan-2 or KanaPlex to help rid him of the infection.

I'll see if I can get some others to help out, just in case.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I'll turn off the heater and make a trip to the fish store this afternoon. I can't believe this is happening to Spike, I hope I'll be able to save him.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
As a note, AQ salt isn't going to help him out now. The wound is already close, albeit receding but it is closed unlike a fin that has just been bitten and is open. Salt will only disinfect open wounds, after the wound is closed there is nothing the salt can do to help him so you can take him off the salt as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, Out of the 2 med's that you listed which one would be the best?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
KanaPlex is newer and usually more effective but also not readily availible in stores more often whereas Furan-2 is. KanaPlex (Kanamycin) is generally bought online rather than in stores so it takes time to get to you whereas with Furan-2 you could potentially start dosing today if you found it at your stores.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I will go to a Big Al's in my town, it's a fish warehouse I should be able to find it there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to get KanaPlex, Now just to figure out how much I use for a 2.5 Gallon. Is there any chance that someone knows?

As I'm treating with the medication should I use API Stress Coat? Or just use Prime like normal?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
That would be half the scoop fill approx. It's alright if it isn't EXACTLY half of the scoop. Each scoop measure for 5 gallons. And just use Prime, it's much more effective and useful than Stress Coat is.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have 1 more question, do I give Spike's tank a 100% water change for every two days when I have to renew his med dose?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yep.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much for the help, Spike and I are so greatful :)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I just hope it helps! You may have to do a few rounds of it but don't worry, KanaPlex is very gentle on the system so he should handle it just fine.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Glad he is getting the right treatment. Fingers crossed for him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts