Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be posting day by day. Probly should of started this the day I got him, but I was keeping a mental journal. A more permanent journal would be better xD

I'll start at the very beginning:

Day 1: Was supposed to be only buying dog food. But being a fishy lover I just had to run through the aquatics end of PetsMart. Nearly 70-80% of the bettas that arrived when I purchased Cal had been bought. All were dropy and sad looking. Either laying at the bottom or floating at the top. Few were active, but none were as active as him.
He had 3 other bettas stacked ontop of his cup, and 3 around him. 1 behind and 2 at his sides. He twirled around flaring at his neighbors. Fluttering his big spiky fins. Then he turned and saw me. Did not flare. Instead he sat and watched me for a few moments, then he turned and fluttered his fins at me in a beautiful display. Right then, he caught my heart. Dealing with the sickness of Cal he was a bright and happy wittle betta eager to make me smile. Hubs wouldn't be happy to see another fish coming home, but he wants me to be happy and then I was very much down in the dumps.
I get home and begin to slowly acclimate him to his new tank water. Via someone's idea on BettaFish :) I poured him into my reserved fishy bucket, started up the siphon , knoted a knot in the center of the line to a drip and thus began the 30 mins of adjustment. 45 mins later I scooped him into a sandwich baggie and began to float him for 20 mins to acclimate him to the temp in the tank. 25 mins later he was released.
He explored every inch of his new home. Swimming through the logs and every little hole he could fit his head into. Swimming past the filter he must of saw his reflection and he started flaring.
When night time came I saw he picked his favorite spot.

Day 2: Spike was laying inside his log. I dropped some pellets in to feed him. They immediately fell to the bottom due to the water flow. Spike saw them fall and ate all of them and then swam back into his log. All morning he stayed in his log. Only coming out to get air and quickly swimming back into his log.
I thought it was because he was just settling in. But in the back of my mind I knew something was bothering him. So thus I began a search to baffle the water flow. And I rigged a water bottle baffle and out came Spike happily swimming around again. :)

Day 3: Spike swam to the front to be fed. He is his usual active self, swimming around and spreading his fins very wide. Everytime I come to watch him he is always at the front showing off his fins to me :)

Day 4: I purchased a light that would be less brighter and would still light the kitchen for hubs. I check on Spike different hours of the night making sure it is not bothering him. He sleeps inside the log with the plant woven inside it.
He also met me at the front for feeding time :)

Day 5: Spike is now starting to beat me to feeding time. I think he is starting to catch on what time I get up in the morning. I seriously need to take a photo of feeding time, or a video :)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 5(night time): I noticed Spike seemed to be having difficultly getting comfortable last night. I decided to refill hubs water cup/turn off Spike's light for the night. I also decided that since I will be getting a new live plant for his tank that I probably should change the lighting time.

Morning of day 6: Made a video of Spike's feeding time. He is beginning to figure where his food is at, and what container his food is in :) I love watching him show off his fins to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVZKj-Y8aQQ

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 7 (morning): Fed Spike what was supposed to be 2 or 3 pellets. Turned into 4 pellets because I thought it looked SO small. Next week I'm gonna get some Omega One Betta Buffet. I just noticed today that his current food is near expiration. Although, right now it may not be benefiting him...just giving him a full tummy.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evening of Day 7: SPIKE MADE A BUBBLE NEST!!! I am so proud of him. It has been a while since any of my bettas have made a bubble nest. He was swimming back n forth like "Mommy. Mommy. Look. Look. I did good right?!"
I had been planning to put a styrofoam cup in there to give him an area with some what still water for bubble building. But he made use outta the corner today :)
It isn't big or anything, but I am still proud of mea baby

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 8 (bit of a summary): I did his water change while I was thawing out the hamburger meat in the sink.
I pulled out about 1.5 gallon of his original water. And when I put in the new water he acted a little weird, mostly hid in his log. I think it may have been because the new water wasn't the same temp as the original....should I be raising the temp of the new water with the heater/then adding it to his tank?
Later on once the temp was back to normal he was his active self.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats awesome he seems to be thriving it is good that he has made a bubble nest maybe you could attempt breeding.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats awesome he seems to be thriving it is good that he has made a bubble nest maybe you could attempt breeding.
I've attempted breeding before with 1 of my earlier bettas. It is more difficult than it looks and I had felt pretty horrible when the babies died :'(

·
Registered
34 Posts
it is a bit tricky they make it sound easy but on average 90% of the babies die

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I take it you like Betta's, I reckon they are great. I've had two one was drago and the other called brom

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I take it you like Betta's, I reckon they are great. I've had two one was drago and the other called brom
yeah I love em
but im obsessed with all fish
our 75 gallon is currently cycling and probably won't get any inhabitants until sometime April or early May.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Opps, apparently I missed Day 9 and 10:oops:

Well during day 9, I noticed the water temp was bouncing between 75-80F and Spike wasn't liking it. He was very mopy. And I didn't have the moola for a heater that day :'(

So day 10, did some cleaning for mother in law and got the cash for Spike's heater. Set up his heater. He had fun flaring at it/poking it.

Day 11: Spike made it through the night with his new heater. Can't tell ya how worried I was last night. I lowered the heater down a degree last night and so far it is keeping the tank at an approx 81, 82F. Spike is very happy and so am I :)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Day 12: So I took a chance and fed Spike some of the frozen brine shrimp. I am still super nervous about feeding it to him as it was the last food Cal ate before he got terribly sick.
Spike must of gotten so used to his food floating that he didn't realize 90% of the shrimp fell to the bottom. He only ate 2 shrimpies. I'll leave them on the bottom for a little while longer and see if he notices them.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 13: Spike had found the rest of the shrimpies. Last night I noted him looking in every nok and cranny of the gravel. Even saw him move a few rocks xD. Fed him his pellets this morning. And moderately thinking about changing his gravel to sand when I get his new plants.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah they usually find those shrimps lol. Wow I can't believe you got him Petsmart My Petsmart's Bettas are all Veil Tails that look sickly and in that blue water so you can't see their colors.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah they usually find those shrimps lol. Wow I can't believe you got him Petsmart My Petsmart's Bettas are all Veil Tails that look sickly and in that blue water so you can't see their colors.
I think they actually ran outta dye that day xD
Cause all the cups had clear water.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Day 13 (evening): Changed Spike's gravel to white sand....tank is quite cloudy. Looks like he'll be spending the night floating in his cup. No be mad at mommy Spike :)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day 14: Spike's water finally cleared up and I released him. 1st thing he did was zoom through his logs and show me his dislike for being held in his cup that long. He flared quite a bit at me xD

Day 15: Today is the day of Spike's fasting. More angry Spike. He'll get his brine shrimp tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Day 16: Gave Spike his brine shrimp. He gobbled them up like the wittle piggie he is. He even tried to eat some sand. Was funny to watch him spat it back out xD

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's funny I fed mine their brine shrimp today as it is water change day. Midnight my new CT has gravel let some float down to the bottom. It got between the cracks and he actually nudged a small piece of gravel over to get to it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts