Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys I am ready to pull my hair out. I don't know why this isn't working.

My divided 10 gallon has two sponge filters. They were attached to a Whisper 10 with a 2-way check and 2 control valves attached. I've had some issues with it since I added the 2nd sponge filter about a month ago but after adding additional control valves, I got it to an even flow for both filters. Since then I'd have to adjust it every now and then because one filter would stop flowing but I always got it sorted.

Today, I came in and one sponge filter had no flow and when I turned the control valve, it would only flow for a second then stop. Nothing I did got it to work so I thought maybe it was the pump struggling with 2 filters.

I went and bought the Whisper 20. Got it connected and still no flow on that one filter. I figured it was the the 2-way device so I removed it. I added 2 separate check valves to both lines and since it already had control valves added, I just attached them to a T connecter and put that to the pump. Still nothing.

I then replaced one of the the control valves because I thought I could hear air escaping from it. Still nothing.

I then replaced the line leading from the non-flowing pump to the check because it had water sitting in it that wouldn't come out and I thought that was strange. Still nothing.

I have no idea what else to do. Am I just missing something obvious?

P.S. both check valves were placed the correct way so that is not it.

Here's a pic of the set up in case you guys see something I don't. You can see the one filter working in this pic.

Edit: I'd also like to add when I turn the control valve for the non-flowing filter, the pump gets louder but nothing happens.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Are you sure the line to the sponge filter is clear of debris and there's nothing clogging it or the intake nozzle on the filter? If you connect it directly to the pump with no valves, does it work? Failing that, if you blow through the line when it's attached to the filter can you produce bubbles?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you sure the line to the sponge filter is clear of debris and there's nothing clogging it or the intake nozzle on the filter? If you connect it directly to the pump with no valves, does it work? Failing that, if you blow through the line when it's attached to the filter can you produce bubbles?
Tubing is clear and so is the sponge filter. It does produce bubbles if I blow and just pump-line-filter I get flow. However, I blew into the check valve and it produced nothing so I'm guessing that is defective.

Edit: but that wouldn't explain why it stopped working this morning as I just bought that check valve today.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I put the 2-way on just that line to make sure the only thing not working was the check valve and voila! 2 working filters. I will just buy a new check valve and hopefully they will take the messed up one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I went back to petco and bought another check valve and it is also defective. I tested that filter with my working check valve and it was good so I just have that side running for now since I hasn't ran all day. Very annoyed and will also be returning that one tomorrow and going to petsmart instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts