Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to upgrade Galileo's 5 gal with a good sponge filter. The tiny thing his tank came with is not only unnecessarily noisy, but it's also impossible to find the correct cartridges to replace (and I live in an area with both a Petco and Petsmart within driving distance). I've heard great things about sponge filters and already have an air pump lying around not being used. For anybody with sponge filter experience, what kind should I be looking for?

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm a fan of Hydor Pros -- the Hydor Pro I would probably work well. They have a coarser sponge material that holds beneficial bacteria a lot better ime.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've been wondering about sponge filters myself. Can you use them on like a 30 gallon with like 12 fish? I found an internal that has a sponge on the inside.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
A sponge filter is driven by an airpump, as opposed to an internal filter with its motor.
The Hydro series are top-of-the-line sponge filters,. They can be used with an airstone for better efficiency and quieter operation. The Hydro Mini is appropriate for a 5g tank. It's what I use. They come in a range of sizes up to 125g. Amazon.com: ATI HYDRO SPONGE FILTER MINI LUSTAR HS900 7 GALLON: Pet Supplies
(I don't know about Hydor Pro filters)

The little filter that Tree recommends, I think can take an airstone (Is that right, Tree?). It would be fine in a 5g with just a Betta. At that price, you can't afford to build one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A sponge filter is driven by an airpump, as opposed to an internal filter with its motor.
The Hydro series are top-of-the-line sponge filters,. They can be used with an airstone for better efficiency and quieter operation. The Hydro Mini is appropriate for a 5g tank. It's what I use. They come in a range of sizes up to 125g. Amazon.com: ATI HYDRO SPONGE FILTER MINI LUSTAR HS900 7 GALLON: Pet Supplies

The little filter that Tree recommends, I think can take an airstone (Is that right, Tree?). It would be fine in a 5g with just a Betta. At that price, you can't afford to build one.
doh, thats exactly the one I meant, the lustar hydros (posting pre-coffee is dangerous, folks). The pro line just has the coarser, more durable sponge. Though now that I look, I'm not sure the I actually exists in the pro line.. looks like just II through V.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

I believe so, but it needs to be the thinner smaller air stone. the black thick ones I have did not fit.

these might fit the filter I have:

anything thicker will not fit

·
Registered
717 Posts
im sure i can make one for under 6 dollars. aquarium sponge is not that much money and the pvc wouldnt be much from home depot. plus you wouldnt have to wait the 2-3 weeks for shipping. im a real diy guy especially when i dont have to wait for shipping

1 - 11 of 11 Posts