Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning while I was at school, my sister saw my female Betta getting sucked into my filter intake. I wasn't told about it until I got home today because my mom figured I would worry about it all day (and she was right lol)

I didnt think it could hurt a female Betta but now I'm concerned. I've heard of people using sponges? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question- but does the sponge go IN the tube or do I wrap it around the outside? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW My filter is off for now and I will be going to the store to get a sponge shortly.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think either way will work - you can also use pantyhose over the tube.
Ok thanks! I actually found a sponge in a package I have, but it is not an aquarium sponge. My mom just went to walmart and PETco and she cannot find aquarium sponge. If I boil this sponge, would that make it safe to use?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok thanks! I actually found a sponge in a package I have, but it is not an aquarium sponge. My mom just went to walmart and PETco and she cannot find aquarium sponge. If I boil this sponge, would that make it safe to use?
I've used several sponges to make homemade sponge filters. As long as they have no chemicals, you're safe. I always rinsed mine for a long time to make sure nothing was in them. You don't need to boil it, just rinse and squeeze it out a real lot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Be careful to make sure the intake is secure. Mine fell off while I was at work and sucked my poor CT male into the filter and killed him. :( I would hate for anyone else to have this happen.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Be careful to make sure the intake is secure. Mine fell off while I was at work and sucked my poor CT male into the filter and killed him. :( I would hate for anyone else to have this happen.
This happened to me (intake falling off) and I lost 4 females. I tried pantyhose but the filter got clogged. Now I use filter sponge and I put it inside the intake tube. AND I check to make sure the tube is firmly in place!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG I'm so sorry guys! That's so sad. Now I'm paranoid. xP

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Big, high-suction, powerful filters for fast strong fish in big aquariums.

Sponge filters (bubblers) for Betta.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Big, high-suction, powerful filters for fast strong fish in big aquariums.

Sponge filters (bubblers) for Betta.
Just curious - where's the best place to get sponge filters? Or do you make them yourself?

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
There are many kinds. Some members recommended the ATI/Luxar line. They aren't totally ugly. Read about them here Aquarium Sponge Filter; ATI Hydrosponge Bio Filters and Replacement Sponges.
(including sponge filter theory) then buy from Amazon if you can't find it at your LFS. I haven't seen them at Petcosmart.

I made one out of a pill bottle and a foam block I had. It worked, but it wasn't worth my time and effort. They're only in the $10 range with shipping. There are other cheaper ones on Amazon that might be worth investigating.

You'll also need:

- Air pump: ($7)Tetra Whisper is good. I bought a Marina 75 (heard it was quieter)

- Airline tubing: 3+ feet. The farther the pump is from the tank, the less noise you'll hear. Silicon is worth the extra pennies...more flexible

- Check valve: ($2) if, as is likely, you locate the pump below the water level. Prevents back-siphoning if your power goes out.

It adds up to about as much as a cheap HOB or in-tank, but it's great for your bacteria and is easier on the fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts