Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there my betta fish shadow, has an interesting looking spot on his pectoral fins. I got him two weeks ago from petsmart after mourning the sad loss of my other fish :,(. He is in a 10 gallon with no tank mates. There are two real plants, decorations and hiding spots, a preset 78° heater and a filter. I took a video while he was eating although it’s hard to see since they are clear and he continuously moves them but it is definitely there. Wondering if this is cause for concern? He is eating fine, has great energy, he’s almost always swimming and exploring unless he is sleeping. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels are all at zero, ph is always around an 8-8.2. (I use api master test kit w/ high range ph test) I’ve been keeping a close eye on him for any signs of disease since he is a new fish for me. Please check out this vid and get back to me on whether or not I should worry or if I need to treat him with salt or medication. P.S. couldn’t figure out how to upload video from my camera role so I uploaded on YouTube (that’s why there is a url)
April 6, 2021

·
Registered
263 Posts
Heyoitselle,
I am not seeing anything on the pectoral fins? Are you talking about the different color tips?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I see what you‘re referring to.
To me nothing looks unhealthy - his pectorals either getting a bit more colour or having been like it anyway. It might also appear as a spot because of some irregular branching in the pectoral rays - hard to see even in slow motion.
If he‘s fine otherwise I wouldn‘t worry and just keep on watching him - what you are obviously doing anyway ☺.
What a marvelous fish!

Reactions: Heyoitselle

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only time I would watch is the tear on his fins. My first betta was a chronic tail bitter as a halfmoon. I found occasional methyl blue dips stopped inflammation during water changes. Otherwise, he would flare often and tear his fins from his reflection which I also used the methyl blue as a preventative as he got older.

Otherwise he looks perfectly fine to me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only time I would watch is the tear on his fins. My first betta was a chronic tail bitter as a halfmoon. I found occasional methyl blue dips stopped inflammation during water changes. Otherwise, he would flare often and tear his fins from his reflection which I also used the methyl blue as a preventative as he got older.

Otherwise he looks perfectly fine to me!
Are you talking about the tear on his fin along the top of his body? I noticed that too and I figured maybe it happened from something in the tank, do you think it looks related to time biting? Should I get the methyl blue?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are you talking about the tear on his fin along the top of his body? I noticed that too and I figured maybe it happened from something in the tank, do you think it looks related to time biting? Should I get the methyl blue?
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. It could very well be from the tank or from being netted initially. It doesn't look like fin rot at all to me. Fin biting as a distinct, crisp u-shape in my experience. It can also be a tear from flaring at himself too long - common in longer finned bettas. It doesn't look irritated or infected so you don't need it. I'd just keep any eye on it. If he's a bitter and more spots appear then I'd invest. You can get it cheap off of Amazon in two days. Otherwise, if it's a once time instance I wouldn't worry about it. Parameters and body condition suggest he's not at risk for any immediate infection.

(However, I personally like to keep it on hand as methyl blue is a good tool. It's good for increasing hemoglobin oxygen affinity, fungus treatment, and some parasites. I treat all my new fish with it aside from invertebrates.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. It could very well be from the tank or from being netted initially. It doesn't look like fin rot at all to me. Fin biting as a distinct, crisp u-shape in my experience. It can also be a tear from flaring at himself too long - common in longer finned bettas. It doesn't look irritated or infected so you don't need it. I'd just keep any eye on it. If he's a bitter and more spots appear then I'd invest. You can get it cheap off of Amazon in two days. Otherwise, if it's a once time instance I wouldn't worry about it. Parameters and body condition suggest he's not at risk for any immediate infection.

(However, I personally like to keep it on hand as methyl blue is a good tool. It's good for increasing hemoglobin oxygen affinity, fungus treatment, and some parasites. I treat all my new fish with it aside from invertebrates.)
Hi! I read your post and I assumed that the tear was from something in the tank but this morning I noticed a second tear in his fin. The methyl blue does it prevent tail biting? Or is it just used for inflammation? Is there anyway to prevent tail biting?
EC9CED81-09E5-4396-874B-85B48EF1339A.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
771 Posts
Could you please fill out the disease and emergency form and provide a full pic of his tank? You can find the form at the top of the Disease and Emergency section. Thanks :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could you please fill out the disease and emergency form and provide a full pic of his tank? You can find the form at the top of the Disease and Emergency section. Thanks :)
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes, it’s used to be a divided tank so it has a 5 gallon hang on the back filter on each side.
Does it have a heater? Yes preset 100 watt heater
What temperature is your tank? Always 78-79
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3-4 pellets at 8am and again at 8pm everyday. Every Thursday at 8am I feed him dethawed frozen blood worms. And every other Friday I cast him for 1 day.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I perform between 50-60% water change every Thursday night. He does not act ill eats fine swims fine I’m scared he’s a tail biter.
What percentage of water did you change?50-60%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Top Fin water conditioned if any ammonia is detected before I put my fish back in the tank I use top fin instant ammonia neutralizer.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: it’s not quite 0ppm and not quite .25ppm so it’s somewhere between those two options, so safe.
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness (GH): my api test kit doesn’t test for these.
Alkalinity (KH): ^^ I live in Arizona if that helps anyone know

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? I noticed the tear 5 days ago and then a second tear this morning.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? No just the two tears in his fins
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not that I know of
image.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi! I read your post and I assumed that the tear was from something in the tank but this morning I noticed a second tear in his fin. The methyl blue does it prevent tail biting? Or is it just used for inflammation? Is there anyway to prevent tail biting?
That looks like tail bitting. If it was a tank tear it would be more ragged. Methyl blue is an infection preventative especially for fungal and parasites. It also increases blood oxidation and acts as a disinfectant - in other words it will destroy your ongoing cycle if you add directly to your main tank. The increased oxygen flow always seemed to calm my biter down but it could have been the new scenery.

Nothing is going to stop fin biting aside from breaking site lines, the MB just stops any opportunistic infections. Your tank has lower decorations, can you buy a few tall silk plants to put in near the glass? Otherwise do not leave the lights on in the dark, they see their reaction and get stressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts