Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two bettas in a divided 5g tank here in my dorm with me. I'll most likely be leaving for spring break on March 7th and not coming back until the 16th. Unless I can get someone to come and pick me up, I won't be able to take the tank home with me (since I'd be travelling by train and it'd be a nightmare to do so with a fish tank, two bettas, and all my luggage). So I have a few questions:

1. Should I just bring my bettas home with me? I do have a few smaller tanks at home (I think they're little more than a gallon, but they're not heated or filtered) I could put them in temporarily.
2. If I leave them here, is there a good automatic feeder I can invest it? Or will they be alright for eight days without food?
3. I'm not sure if the dorm's electricity is shut off during spring break or not, but if so, will they be okay with no heater and no filter?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
They will be perfectly fine if you do nothing at all. If I recall correctly power is left on during spring break. If it's not, then that can complicate things. Anyway, assuming power is left on, a week is no big deal for a fish to go without food. They'll be just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I knew if they kept the electricity on or not. I remember having to unplug the fridge and microwave before Thanksgiving, but then having to unplug everything for winter break. The website just says that the dorms will be closed.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Ask your RA.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
At my school, we leave fridges & fishtanks plugged in for the short breaks- Thanksgiving & spring (To be honest we leave everything else plugged in too, only the most militant RAs actually care to check plugs). A week without water changes or food won't do any harm if they're healthy to start with, so I wouldn't worry. I leave mine at school for every week-long break without any sort of feeder and I've never lost one.

If you're not sure definitely ask your RA, or go to the front desk and ask the people working there. If they don't know (Which they should), email your Residential Life department directly and they should give you a straight answer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There are also "weekend feeders" you can get. Usually for tropical fish... they can work for bettas too. You can get a 4 pack at Walmart. Put it in before you leave and it'll slowly dissolve, releasing the food. Much cheaper than an automatic feeder! I've heard horror stories of those breaking and polluting the entire tank with food.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There are plenty of horror stories involved with those awful feeder blocks too. Many report their fish not touching them, which is actually a good thing. I surely don't want my fish eating food that will not break down. I would rather they go hungry than eat garbage.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I meant they work if you have no other option. It's better than the fish starving! Usually the food in the block is brine shrimp or bloodworms... perfectly natural for bettas. But the fish are picky so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't touch em. What kind of horror stories have you heard?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
It takes several months for a fish to starve to death. Honestly, I don't think it's better than them not eating for a period of time. Like I said, I would rather my fish eat nothing at all than low quality food - the potential for harm far exceeds the minimal nutritional value in the food. And it's not like the tank is devoid of food. It's a mini ecosystem - there are snacks to be found in most tanks.

The last thing you want to do when going away is add variables to the mix. Adding new fish before going away is another bad idea.

There is a reason why those food blocks don't break down, and it's not a good one.... I don't even want to know what concoction of chemicals holds that thing together.

People have said they came home to dead fish, just the same as with the auto feeders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts