Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
A filled 36 gallon tank is pretty heavy. I'm don't think putting it on a desk is a good idea. I'm sure that there are plenty of suitable DIY tank stands out there if you are looking to save cash.

I use ones like this,
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/classic-pine-stands-canopies.htm
It has plenty of storage space underneath and looks pretty good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A filled 36 gallon tank is pretty heavy. I'm don't think putting it on a desk is a good idea. I'm sure that there are plenty of suitable DIY tank stands out there if you are looking to save cash.

I use ones like this,
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/classic-pine-stands-canopies.htm
It has plenty of storage space underneath and looks pretty good.
The problem is that its a bow front. So I wouldn't be able to make my own I don't think. :-? I don't have money ether. Do you think a really solid surface (like one of those boxy desks ) could possibly work? Of corse if it's not safe I wont

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It could possibly work. I'm just not sure how stable it's going to be. Personally I wouldn't risk it. It's going to be close to 400lbs. By the time it's filled with water, substrate and accessories. Unless it's a super sturdy, hardwood, old timey railroad tycoon type desk it would really make me nervous. Ikea furniture just ain't gonna cut it. 36 gallons of water would be a nightmare to clean up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could possibly work. I'm just not sure how stable it's going to be. Personally I wouldn't risk it. It's going to be close to 400lbs. By the time it's filled with water, substrate and accessories. Unless it's a super sturdy, hardwood, old timey railroad tycoon type desk it would really make me nervous. Ikea furniture just ain't gonna cut it. 36 gallons of water would be a nightmare to clean up.
The desk in question is pretty darn sturdy
I asked my sister to come sit on it with me
combined we weigh 390 ( I'm the big one haha ) and the desk didn't even creak
I plan on putting sapports under the chair place too

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't rock back and forth no
and the tank would have a bit of space around it
be pretty hard to knock over I think cause the desk is alot longer then the tank
Yes I shall buy a level
I'm still gonna do some tests though, I wouldn't want dead fishies on my hands
thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Putting it on the ground is a good, safer option but getting a gravel vacuum to flow uphill will present a challenge making water changes tricky.

You already have the tank correct? Put it on the desk and fill it up and and test it out. Post a picture if you can, I might be overreacting:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.