Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thanks. I've heard about tetra and fluval. I found out Petco sells the hydor brand which quite a few people use.

Looking at your fish, it'll be interesting to see what colors and markings the fry end up with.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
aNother picture of Hera. The lights brighten her up a bit too much. But this is about as good it gets. VT females are still pretty desirable for me in my 55 gallin community tank.if she ends up to be vt, I'm sure they'll be gorgeous! Id still ratherhad the EE female I had my eyes on aquabid but, you can't fight fate lol. Any ideas on her finage?

·
Registered
706 Posts
My female is a veiltail and my male is a Delta, so I'm curious about how that mix will turn out.

Looking at her tail she looks like either a halfmoon or delta. But I could be wrong.

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with the fry?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
My female is a veiltail and my male is a Delta, so I'm curious about how that mix will turn out.

Looking at her tail she looks like either a halfmoon or delta. But I could be wrong.

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with the fry?
If all goes as planned, ill keep a couple and the "gimps". I own 25 bettas already now so ,ill freely give The fry to good homes once they are old enough and I'm comfortable with letting them out of my site lol.

I'm taking Dumbo out today, I think he may be snacking on my free swimmers :(

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yikes... don't need that.

Wow, you have 25 bettas?! that's amazing.

I've considered keeping a female from my bettas' spawn and then turn her brothers and sisters over to a fish store once they're old enough to leave home. I think that'll be the hardest thing for me apart from possibly loosing a few along the way.

You can always try asking if a fish store would find homes for your betta fry. They'll usually give a store credit in exchange.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
U should keep atleast 1 or two from your stock. Lol id kept all of mine if I had the space. 25 a lot but they all mean a lot to me.

I can't wait for all these fry to be free swimming. Id say half the tank is free swimming and the other fry are twitchers, mainly staying T the bottom. Dumbo still Scoops them up and brings.'em to thd surface so I'm holding out removing Dumbo til my mosquito larvae are treated another day. My brine shrimp still haven't hatched but id say it usually takes a full day anyway.

Here's a pic of some of the fry today

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cleaning tanks today. All of them. I thought about putting some of my mystery snails in the fry tank?? I've heard others doing so, but never myself. Debris from my plants are coverin the bottom of tank and I don't want any weak bottom dwellers to get stuck/bacteria from it. I'm goung to lower the water level a bit today. Id would start siphoning, but I don't want to risk sucking up the few that could be laying around. I hate Turkey basters. Takes tii ling but I might just have too. But should I toss some snails in?? More pics soon :) I gotta get back to cleaning tanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
WHAT IS IT ABOUT MY POWER ALWAYS GOING OUT WHEN I HAVE BETTA FRY!!!!!!! GEEEEZZZZZZZZ!!!!! Thank god my house is burning up. I love the mountains in Virginia, but any tiny lil thunder and wind the whole countys power goes out. I hope Dumbo doesn't snap at any I can't see a thing

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Mee tooo. I went threw this with Gandalf last year. But it was much cooler then. The room temp has dropped but the tank hasn't.

Last year, the temp dropped about one degree on the hr. Power company estimates 2 am so I shouldn't have to worry much. Just hope it stops lightning so the will work on them!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yikes. Last summer the air conditioner went out at my place. It took a while for things to cool down but my fish were fine. Me... not so much. I don't do well when the temp goes up to the triple digits.

Still, never heard of an 'oops' spawn. I have heard of something similar at the horse ranch where I went for training lessons. There was a cow with her calf. Her owners had no idea she was pregnant. Went out to feed her one morning and there he was. One of the cutest things on four legs.

Can't help but smile at baby animals.

·
Registered
117 Posts
so cute!! Babies!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Agreed. Just last week I saw a few female crowntails at Petco. Cute, though I wouldn't feel comfortable selling bettas that young.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update. well after the power went out ,I put a lantern near the tank so he could have a little bit of light. 4 hours later the power came on. I can only count 13 now. But the tanks water has been lowered and its stock full of anacharis. So I prolly just overlook ing.I think the lights being out he may have snapped at anything that moved. But I'm hoping theyre all hiding in the plants and finally off the bottom of tank. Found another female on aqua bid. If this spawn fails me ( my fault anyway ) ill b trying again. . Off to work now. :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Your right.I still have about 6 twitchers. They still haven't touched the surface other than when Dumbo picks them up. I've feed the larger ones today who's egg sac are pretty much gone. My brineshrimp culture died when I lost power, no backup, so it was watered down boiled egg today. Works. But fouls tank quick. glad im patient enough with using airline tubes to siphon it up.
I don't like Dumbo being in the tank this long, but tomorrow the last day for him. I doubt the one who've yet developed will survive in the long run. But you never know. Venom had a great turn out. And I experienced the same thing with the " runts" can't wait for this Sunday to be over. Itll be a 4 day " weekend " to spend with my fish :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Virginia is notorious for wind storms. And I move from the coast to get away from hurricanes. Lol my luck.

The fry are eating lots now. Going to attempt to siphon the bottom tomorrow. Only 2 bottom dwellers today :)

21 - 40 of 153 Posts