Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get a 40-55 gallon tank. I want this to become like a crazy planted tank, it's okay even if it looks bad I just want plants everywhere! I want to get a light that makes plants grow fast and good. Not just for low lighting plants, I want a carpet too. Obviously it'll be expensive, but I can slowly save up for it. If you guys could attach some links of great lights that would be great. I'm from Canada so I don't have petco, but if shipping isn't super expensive i could do it. So please recommend some lights and even plants that grow fast and will make my tank look super planted.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Have you looked into the NPT systems?

That is the only type of systems I keep-I can set one up for about $20.00 more or less and that include lights-provided that you already have the tank.

I can grow just about any type of plant in these systems-I have a pretty nice lawn in my 75gal and a couple of 10ga and a 3gal using this type of system

Lights that work best for my systems-Daylight 6500k florescent on a 10-12h/day photoperiod-I buy my lights a local home store or walmart-not aquarium lights or store. Price can range from $2-10 ech depending on length.

I use the shop light strips over my bigger tanks (55-75gal) with the Daylight 6500k bulbs-these can cost about 10-15 dollars more or less.

For the substrate-I either dig it from my pasture or use either potting soil or top soil and then use either play sand or pool filter sand to cap the soil.

I don't use any ferts or inject CO2-these types of system will create both naturally as the system becomes established.

Plants-I get a lot off ebay-especially since you can get free shipping on a lot-with the soil based NPT you need a lot of stem plants to start-as well as some rosette and floating plants.

Filtration-I don't use any filter on any of my system 10gal or smaller, however, I will use filter when I first setup any 10gal and use on my 20-75gal-but more for water movement than filtration since the plants are the main filtration system.

Once mature and that can take about 3mo-water changes are limited-In my system that can range from monthly to 2-3 times a year based on tank size and stocking-Just top-offs and trims with re-plant weekly on most of my systems.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for All the info! Do you have any links to where to buy this?

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Thanks for All the info! Do you have any links to where to buy this?
Your welcome...

I don't have any links and since you are in Canada it most likely would be different anyway-especially regarding shipping.
Do you have Ebay-I would check that for plants or even a local aquarium club-I am sure you have them and even if they are not near you-one of the members might be...just a thought...also, just about any of the home store will have light bulbs that will work with planted tank...what you want to look for is "Daylight" 6500k- The watts are based on length of bulbs and IMO watts don't matter regarding needs for plants...its the Kelvin that is important-the correct color temp that the plant can use/see for photosynthesis

I rarely if ever buy any of my supplies from the pet shops or even the pet section of stores that have them-I found over the years that if an item has aquarium written on it...It will be 2-3 times higher in price of the same item without aquarium stamped on it....lol...funny how that works....lol....

I usually y the GE brand but only because that is the main brand that is sold in my area-any brand will work provided that it is Daylight with the proper Kelving.

Not sure if you seen the "Sticky" on how to NPT at the top of this section-I wrote it, however, some of the info is outdated and/or I have updated some of the information in some areas-like with the other Sticky that I wrote-outdated and/or updated and the sticky don't reflect these changes.

Setting up and keeping the soil based heavy planted tank is one of the easiest systems to care for IME-Once they mature they are as close to the natural ecosystem that one can create in a closed system, however, they are a closed system and will need some care-just not like a standard system...at least that has been my experience over the many, many years of keeping aquariums-plus much cheaper in the long run for both supplies and care in general.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts