Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as many times my mom said 'NO MORE FISH!,' she's letting me get a sorority later this year. It took only a few minutes to convince her, the words: 'It'll only be one tank for four bettas" and "the tank will only be 10 gallons" seemed to win her over.

So, I believe I'm going to start a small sorority. I can only get a 10g but from what I read it's enough for one. I plan on getting four females as that's the max for a 10g. I only have one quarantine tank so I don't know if I could get all four at once. Do you have to introduce them all at once or does it not matter? Because it seems like you should introduce them all at once. I know I have to heavily plant it, but do I need caves for hiding too?

Also I've read that red bettas usually turn out to be the leaders, so should I try and obtain a red female too?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Its encouraged that you introduce them all at once. If you have a larger tank with other fish in it, make sure you put the other fish in first, then the bettas. They do this so the ladies can create their hierarchy. Quarantine should be done in individual 2l containers at least. Mason jars work nicely for this :) The more hidings spots the better!!! It gives the girls a spot to cool off and get away from fin-nippers and more dominant fish.

I haven't heard anything about colors determining dominance. Its mostly their personalities. Personally, I'd suggest getting a variety of colors, just to keep it interesting. If your ladies get in a fight though, remove the LEAST dominant ones from the tank for safety into a "time out." Then re-place them in the tank. It just helps re-establish the pecking order more safely.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ged that sounds like a lot of work xD. Oh well it's worth it. I'll get a lot of hiding spots and plants.

I read somewhere that the red ones just end up being the dominant one, dunno. Not always though hehe. Thanksforthetips c: My mom has a huge pack of mason jars but I don't know if they're two liters, but of course I'm only going to need three because I have the other quarantine tank. And no, I'm probably not going to add any other fish, but if I do I might get cory catfish.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Im glad your starting a sorority. There fun to have and you get to have more bettas :p
I hope your sorority walks out for you

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I hope it works out for you too, considering the degree of risk involved. Have a plan for dealing with failure - that's just as important as your plan for setting up the tank.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you-I hope it works out too. I'll think about planning for failure too. [[Hopefully it works >.<]]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Well at least you'll only have to worry about four girls.
Fingers crossed all of your girls are the betta version of friendly.
Oh I also read some were that you should look for and try to get the youngest girls possible or try to get all sisters. I don't remember exactly why but I if I remember correctly its because they tend to be less aggressive when their younger.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! That actually makes sense. It's good also because most of the females at my Petco are sold young. (My petsmart sells fully mature ones though :p) They're usually really small possibly because of malnourishment but they actually look really really young.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I would be getting more than four fish... Four is not the maximum, and you have a better chance of success with a higher number- in theory you can stock one female per gallon, but I would go a bit lower than that.

No need to get a red female, for some reason they are more often the dominant ones (I have also heard that red spawns get aggressive quicker then non reds), but they will work things out on heir own regardless of color.

I would find a way of quarantining them all at once and introducing them at the same time... Jars might be the way to go.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That's good :)
Hopefully since their young they'll be more inclined to be nice to one another

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Should I get seven or eight instead? I meant it's the maximum for a 10g but I may be wrong because I always say 2.5g per betta but then I realize how much smaller females are.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
In my opinion I would start with 6, that way if you need 1 or two more to even out the aggression then youll be able to do that.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I'll try it hehe. I already picked out names.
Djinn
Dakota
Eti
Sunni
Quinn
Kellin
Zero
and/or Infinity

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I love the names you chose, my favorites are Zero, Djinn, and Infinity

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, my friend's sona is named Djinn hehe. I'm probably going to pick up the 10g the upcoming weekend and maybe the plants and heater but I'm not getting it all in one trip.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Wishing you the best with your sorority Bailmint. IME sororities have a better chance of success with a 30g or larger tank. It also allows for more girls and reduces aggression. As stated before younger females or even better, sisters from the same spawn work well. Lots of hides and vertical plants can help. Hornwart is a good plant for sororities they can hide in the weeds. You can cup aggressive girls and float them for a day to reduce aggression. Having a good alpha female that is the tank cop without beating other girls is a nice thing to have. Panda corys have been a pleasure to have in the sorority tank for me.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you so much for your input! I wish I could get a bigger tank but I have limited space and too many tanks. I was going to get a few packs of silk plants because I've never dealt with live plants so I'd need some help with the hornwort. If I can get more info on Panda Corys, I'll definitely get a few (How many for a 10g is reccommended?).

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
In the case of cories its recommended to get at least 6 since their schooling fish.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
In my opinion and experience, a 10 is not large enough for a school of full size Corys. Pygmies? Sure. Pandas are small for full size Corys though, so I don't know. There's just not much bottom space in a standard 10.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I agree, I would opt for either a snail or maybe 1-3 oto cats

1 - 20 of 53 Posts