Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

My first betta recently passed away after a nice long life and before I get a new one I would like to upgrade from my 2.5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon that I had already. My plan is to create a heavily planted tank so that I can have a male betta and 3-6 corydoras. I will be starting the planting process next week and then I will wait a month for the tank to cycle before I add any fish.

I am able to use the heater and filter that I already have but I need to upgrade the light situation. The light I ordered is the Aqueon Aquarium Cip-on LED Light for planted tanks. It seems to have good reviews and it was a decent price.

To upgrade my filter I will be adding a pre-filter sponge and Aquaclear A1379A1 20-Gallon Biomax. I have no experience using anything other than sponges in my filters so any advice is appreciated.

For hard scape I collected some rocks from my neighborhood that are currently disinfecting.

As far as plants go I ordered a bundle of various java ferns to hopefully be the bulk of my plants. I already have a 2.5-3 inch moss ball as well as a medium size anubias barteri. I hope this will be enough to moderately fill the space. My local pet store carries a wide variety of plants that I can get to add but the last plant I bought from there gave me serious snail problems... I would also like to try some sort of carpet plant that I might get from that pet store.

Any tips I could get regarding any of these topics would be highly appreciated!

I will update this thread as I proceed :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi! I found that my marimo (they are actually algae) balls didn't like the warmth necessary for my betta's comfort, so they came out and were put into their own vase :). However if you are getting yours to grow and it's already that size, maybe I should just hush up LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! I found that my marimo (they are actually algae) balls didn't like the warmth necessary for my betta's comfort, so they came out and were put into their own vase :). However if you are getting yours to grow and it's already that size, maybe I should just hush up LOL
I haven’t had an issue with mine so far! I’ve had it for about a year and I think it might actually be growing? I have noticed though that it seems to be getting kind of fluffy and having stray bits on the sides. Do you know how I can help it regain its shape? Is that a problem with the water temperature?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you know how I can help it regain its shape?
Care of marimo can include removing them from the water and very gently squeezing them, and rinsing them (tap water is fine from what I've read) every couple of weeks, whether in a fish tank or their own separate vase.
They also should be rolled so they don't get flat on one side. Mine seem to be shedding a little bit, is that what you're referring to as the stray bits? They may also have little bumps, or growths, that can turn into new marimo balls :)

I'm basically just changing the vase water about every two weeks, adding one drop of Luffy's with the fresh water and keeping them out of direct sunlight. They look a lot happier.

You might take it out of the tank and provide it with a cooler location and cooler water, with nothing added to the tap water except maybe a little Luffy's fertilizer and see how it does :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi

Hi! I found that my marimo Hi! I found that my marimo (they are actually algae) balls didn't like the warmth necessary for my betta's comfort, so they came out and were put into their own vase balls didn't like the warmth necessary for my betta's comfort, so they came out and were put into their own vase
Some facts about Marimo Moss balls

Yes. they are actually algae and algae eating critters will nibble on them.

Betta tanks are too warm for Marimo moss balls they are best kept at under 25 deg C. If your Marimo is going brown take it out of the tank and put it in the fridge for a few days.

To propagate them, Take them out of the tank squeeze the water out, cut in half and roll each half into a ball again,

Under ideal conditions Marimo balls can live for more that 100 years and grow as fast as 5 millimeters a year.

Marimo moss balls are endangered in the wild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Thanks so much! I didn't know most of this!

Some facts about Marimo Moss balls

Yes. they are actually algae and algae eating critters will nibble on them.

Betta tanks are too warm for Marimo moss balls they are best kept at under 25 deg C. If your Marimo is going brown take it out of the tank and put it in the fridge for a few days.

To propagate them, Take them out of the tank squeeze the water out, cut in half and roll each half into a ball again,

Under ideal conditions Marimo balls can live for more that 100 years and grow as fast as 5 millimeters a year.

Marimo moss balls are endangered in the wild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, about the filter, if you find that the outflow is too fast a current for your Betta, there are ways to baffle it.
Yeah I'm not too worried about that because technically the filter I have is for 5 gallons or less... I'm hoping it will work ok because I'm very heavily planting but obviously if I need to upgrade I will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts