Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i've recently done a lot of research and i've found a diet that seems to make COMPLETE sense. i don't have time to explain everything about it right now as i'm trying to get ready to go buy groceries and then go to work. but i will definitely tell you guys about it later. i will be doing this for at least 30 days to see how i feel by this time and to see if i want to continue this and make it a lifestyle change.

i'm not super over weight but i'm at the heaviest i've ever been. well i've actually lost 5 lbs the past few months so my heaviest was 165. right now i'm 160lbs and i'm 5'2''. so the weight i am now looks like a lot on my little short body. my goal is to lose 30 lbs over all to be 130lbs. and i have to tell you guys, i've never been so excited to start a diet than i am now!!!

i will officially be starting the diet tomorrow. i will be taking my body measurements every saturday and weighing myself every sunday. so i will be checking back to this thread every weekend at least to let everyone know how i'm doing and what my progress is.

if any of you guys are interested in knowing what i'm going to be doing i will probably be back on later tonight and answer that. :]

i was just so excited about it and wanted to share it with you all!!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i have a little time before work so i figured i'd let you all in on the secret. for the past 3-4 days i've been researching, watching documentaries, read articles and what not on this diet. many of you may have heard about it through the latest Atkins Diet. which that's basically what it is. so i'll explain.

for 30 days, starting tomorrow, i will be on a low carb, high fat, optimal protein diet. specifically, i will be eating around 20g of carbs per day, between 150-300g of fat a day, and around 70g of protein a day.

most, if not all, of what i eat will come from various forms of chicken, pork, beef, eggs, almonds, sunflower seeds, certain vegetables, real butter, coconut oil and certain fruits. nothing that i eat will be processed such as pressed chicken nuggets or bread/pasta. i won't be consuming really anything with sugar in it, sugar is carbs! and i won't be drinking alcohol.

for my exercise i'm going to be doing at least 3 days a week of weight training for 30-40 minutes each day. this way i'm not just losing fat but gaining some nice toned muscle. :]

so wish me luck! i'm sure this is going to be hard, but i'm so excited to do this and to maybe finally feel good about my body.

for anyone interested in finding out where i heard about this i watched the documentary "Fat Head" which i found on netflix. it's super funny and really an eye opening movie. i recommend it to everyone!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Good luck!

I did the Atkins diet years ago and lost weight quickly, but I just have trouble because I love my carbs so much.

·
Banned
27,614 Posts
Good luck with your diet plan. I did the SouthBeach diet several years ago and lost 15-20 lbs on it. 'Sigh ' I need to get motivated to lose weight. I could stand to lose around 25 lbs.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Oh, good luck to you!!!

This may sound odd to many, but several years ago I prayed about my health, not specifically my weight, and God told me to "Stop eating meat and reduce (my) dairy."

I prayed again and was told that eggs were OK, so I went strict ovo-vegetarian and drastically reduced my dairy intake.

I later learned that I was actually allergic to dairy so eliminated it from my diet. I've since learned that I'm also allergic to soy and wheat.

Sooooo, I'm basically a vegetarian who is allergic to soy, wheat and dairy. Crazy, no? (Yes, there are still * plenty* of things I can enjoy!)

On the very, very positive, I'm thinner than I've been in my adult life.

Trust me, this is not an ideal plan for everyone and I never try to inflict my beliefs (or diet!) on anyone. It is my personal belief that God made us all different and unique, therefore what works for one is not always best for someone else.

Find what works for you and go for it!

I look forward to hearing more of your journey.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys! after seeing that movie it was like something inside me just clicked. i've tried everything before and it just didn't seem like something i could do for super long periods of time and stay motivated or not hungry. i have to tell you. i've had less than 50g carbs today. and usually i'd have a head ache just before getting out of work at this time because i haven't had any food... and I HAVE NO HEAD ACHE!!!!!!! :]

·
Banned
27,614 Posts
thanks guys! after seeing that movie it was like something inside me just clicked. i've tried everything before and it just didn't seem like something i could do for super long periods of time and stay motivated or not hungry. i have to tell you. i've had less than 50g carbs today. and usually i'd have a head ache just before getting out of work at this time because i haven't had any food... and I HAVE NO HEAD ACHE!!!!!!! :]
Thar's wonderful! :-D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
good for you! i'm a member of weight watchers, have been for a year, and well. right now i'm doing really poorly- i've gained at least half of what i've lost. the thing is, when i actually follow the plan, it really works. i really need to go back into it.

the diet you're trying makes a LOT of sense. I am a carb addict- specifically cookies. its a hard road. rooting for you!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Good for you! :)

I've found that finding a form of exercise you really enjoy is the best way to stay motivated. For instance, I *hate* running, but love martial arts and dance (and Zumba!). Boxing burns many calories in a short time as well as toning lots of muscles (legs, bottom, back and shoulders as well as the obvious arms!) because it is a great cardio workout. A 20 minute boxing work-out can do wonders, and takes less time out of your day than running on a treadmill. :)

Find what you enjoy. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Have you ever heard of "The 4 Hour Body" ? It's another low processed foods and low carbs....no white stuff is one of the main rules. My doctor( she's an MD but also alternative...best of both worlds!), turned me on to it.
Like your plan, it just clicked for me, and both my MD and I believe the science of it makes so much sense.

I also believe that everyone was made different and would never think of pushing my beliefs or diet on anyone! Our bodies all need a different path to optimum health.

Way to go Chrissielee! If you don't mind, I might start adding my progress here....I don't want to offend, so just say no if I'm intruding!....I've read that if you put your intentions and progress out there, especially on the web, your more likely to keep going with it...sort of a form of peer pressure, but more in your head...it's more about you not wanting to let yourself down in front of others/peers/friends.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you ever heard of "The 4 Hour Body" ? It's another low processed foods and low carbs....no white stuff is one of the main rules. My doctor( she's an MD but also alternative...best of both worlds!), turned me on to it.
Like your plan, it just clicked for me, and both my MD and I believe the science of it makes so much sense.

I also believe that everyone was made different and would never think of pushing my beliefs or diet on anyone! Our bodies all need a different path to optimum health.

Way to go Chrissielee! If you don't mind, I might start adding my progress here....I don't want to offend, so just say no if I'm intruding!....I've read that if you put your intentions and progress out there, especially on the web, your more likely to keep going with it...sort of a form of peer pressure, but more in your head...it's more about you not wanting to let yourself down in front of others/peers/friends.

oh i don't mind at all! we can be our own little support group. :]

it's day 2 for me today! its started off okay. a little bit of a tummy ache but i think it's from being dehydrated from drinking coffee before bed. i was craving something! guess i won't do that again! lol. but other than that i feel awesome. i had a protein shake for breakfast and theres barely any sugar in it. it already tasted like i was drinking sugar! eww.. its funny how much my taste has changed already. oh, and strawberries taste better than cookies right now.

btw, i'm a recovering cookie addict. :p

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks! I definitely need a support group!
With 2 kids under 6, sugar is everywhere so this will be great...we can be cheerleaders for one another and coaches too.
4hr Body allows 1 cheat day a week: we can totally pig out...it is supposed to help your thyroid, kidneys, and pancreas reset a bit so no hormone crashes. I have chosen Tuesday because it's part of family weekend(when your a nurse and husband works in medical field, you get funky days off) so, I officially start this weds.
The guy who wrote the 4 hr body spent about 10 yrs using himself as the guinea pig...spoke to many biologists, doctors, chemists, etc...anyway I have high hopes that this lifestyle change will stick.
One other thing in this long winded post: I am 5 ft and have about 100 lbs to lose but my diet doesn't really focus on lbs; it is about measurements.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think Bombalurina had some really good advice for you. Definitely helps if you find a form of exercise that you like. I found some good yoga videos and I am looking into other stuff. Another thing that helps is making a good playlist for if you are going to the gym or know you're going to be on a treadmill. It makes a humungous difference in your workout. I hate gyms and personally, our classes that are offered at school are too early in the morning for the drive I have to make.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yayyyy we'll all be awesome together! and it's true to find an exercise that you like.

today was my first day of weight training. and i actually did like it. i liked it more than most things i've tried. even though it was super hard. my fiance is my coach. lol.

anddddd.... today was my first weigh in day too. and the scale said... 156.4!!!! :D and then i weighed myself again after working out and it dropped another .2 lb lol. sweat! but i'm super excited to see that it's working. it feels so awesome to break that 160. this just means i'm one step closer!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yay! Way to go Chrissylee! Keep it up, I'll be joining you on weds, I do initial weight and measures tomorrow for starting point. I have already cut out a lot of sugar and carbs in anticipation for weds! I am a total carb and cookie junkie, too.

I gotta go do water changes in 3 or 4 of my tanks...lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yayyyy!!

and okay. have fun. :p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts