Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after losing my betta, King, I have decided to come back to the world of bettas! I need advice on how to go about setting up his tank again so its ready for a new fish friend. King passed away after being ill, (he had torn his fins on an ornament which I threw out once I noticed, but never fully healed and starting nipping his own fins), so I really want to make sure everything is clean for him. I will use new filter cartridges. I have his old substrate still, and need to know if this is safe to use or if I should replace it. It's fine like sand, but not actual sand, more like teeny tiny particles. If I rinsed it in hot water, would it be safe? Also, how do I go about cleaning out his tank? I don't want to use chemicals, but I don't know if just water is enough. Are his plants still safe (they're fake and silk and never caused him injuries)? This may sound stupid as well, but his heater which is submersible plastic, will that need to be cleaned? And I have a turkey baster which I used for cleaning subsrate/small water changes. My tank is a 2.5 galloon aqueon LED bow.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I really want to make sure everything is perfect and would love some advice on what I should do! Thank you!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it was really sad. His rips seemed to develop finrot and I was on here a lot asking for advice, posting pictures, and trying to help my boy. But he was a trooper. He had a tiny snail friend for a little bit who never even moved (pretty sure he didn't come home alive) and King ate him when he came out of his shell and it was gross xD But King lived past that! But no more snails for me!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
What did he die of? If it was something contagious like columnaris I would get rid of the sand. If it was a tumor or something basic you could use vinegar or bleach to clean everything. Just soak it well in a diluted mix of vinegar or bleach and water, then rinse like mad. You should definitely clean the turkey baster, but I'm really not sure what to do about the heater. I imagine vinegar wouldn't do it any harm

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did he die of? If it was something contagious like columnaris I would get rid of the sand. If it was a tumor or something basic you could use vinegar or bleach to clean everything. Just soak it well in a diluted mix of vinegar or bleach and water, then rinse like mad. You should definitely clean the turkey baster, but I'm really not sure what to do about the heater. I imagine vinegar wouldn't do it any harm
Honestly, I'm pretty sure it was fin rot that he died from. Either that or he just fell ill. I know it wasn't a tumor and it wasn't columnaris (at least I don't think so, no one else on the forums thought it was). He didn't have the white patchy spots of ick or columnaris. Just tattered fins. But thank you for the advice about the vinegar or bleach! I have asthma so I think I'll use the vinegar method!

·
Reference Team
7,707 Posts
As sabrinah suggests, just clean the tank heater plants and everything with vinegar. Rinse the substrate in hot water and you should be good to go.

When you get the new fish, cycle the tank. That will provide the best water quality.

CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As sabrinah suggests, just clean the tank heater plants and everything with vinegar. Rinse the substrate in hot water and you should be good to go.

When you get the new fish, cycle the tank. That will provide the best water quality.

CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial
Thanks! I cleaned everything with vinegar and water last night and did lots of rinsing. No longer smell the vinegar, but will probably rinse more today to be sure. And thank you for the advice about the substrate, that was my main thing I didn't know how to fully clean! I will be cycling with fish food (starting today) and monitoring the levels and using seachem stability as I've had this work wonders in the past. Will post pictures of my new friend once I get him or her!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts