Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good place to get these? I found some on E-Bay, but I am not familiar with any of the sellers (never shopped E-Bay before)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ebay works nice, or AquaBid.

These plants do best with co2 injection and high lighting, I wouldn't recommend for a tank without co2 just so you know. I don't remember if your tanks had co2 or not!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ebay works nice, or AquaBid.

These plants do best with co2 injection and high lighting, I wouldn't recommend for a tank without co2 just so you know. I don't remember if your tanks had co2 or not!
Thanks! I am just using excel now, but the co2 will be coming soon :lol:. I set up my 6th tank last night (2 are plant trimings only) so I can undivide the 20 and get the co2 flowing just right....

I don't dare get on Aquabid....then I would need another tank!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Awesome! In that case, you should really like this plant!

My PetSmart has them in the little bags, I've often bought those plants and they've all done really well for me, if you didn't want to buy online at least.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
lol yeah, my PetSmart actually carries quite the variety of plants in the tube/baggies! I've gotten Cyperus Helferi there recently and I absolutely love it! Picked up some small Crypt Undulata there too Sunday since I just wanted more crypts in my 20 long.

PetCo though doesn't really offer much at all although they have more plants in an actual tank where PetSmart doesn't.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The PetCo and PetSmart here never have many plants...just the ones in the containers that weren't tank friendly - lol. I pretty much have to order everything, but am hoping to make a trip to the Seattle Aquarium Co-Op one day soon.

I am still looking into what co2 to get; I found where I can get the 10 gallon tank on for about $110.00. As far as the regulator, not sure. I had some advice on this previously, but need to do more checking. Hopefully soon. Do you have recommendations for a decent one? I want a tank like yours Tony2632!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Green leaf aquariums has the nice and pricey regulators, but I just got a basic aquatek regulator with solenoid for about $80 bucks on ebay. Now for the tank, you can just get on ebay or any welding shop near by. I think I payed like $60 or $80 bucks for a 10 pound steel tank. You can get steel or aluminum tank and doesn't matter which one you choose, because the only difference between the two is aluminum is lighter then steel that's it lol. Just keep in mind, if you know any places that does refills ask them first if they swap or refill the old tank. If they swap then paying for a pricey aluminum tank might be swap for a ugly steel tank, reason why I got a steel tank instead. Now, it's also good to grab a drop checker to check your CO2 levels or you can test your PH and KH. There is a CO2 chart online when testing PH and KH, just google it. I like using the drop checkers, because it's easy and simple with out the hassle of testing your waters.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Green leaf aquariums has the nice and pricey regulators, but I just got a basic aquatek regulator with solenoid for about $80 bucks on ebay. Now for the tank, you can just get on ebay or any welding shop near by. I think I payed like $60 or $80 bucks for a 10 pound steel tank. You can get steel or aluminum tank and doesn't matter which one you choose, because the only difference between the two is aluminum is lighter then steel that's it lol. Just keep in mind, if you know any places that does refills ask them first if they swap or refill the old tank. If they swap then paying for a pricey aluminum tank might be swap for a ugly steel tank, reason why I got a steel tank instead. Now, it's also good to grab a drop checker to check your CO2 levels or you can test your PH and KH. There is a CO2 chart online when testing PH and KH, just google it. I like using the drop checkers, because it's easy and simple with out the hassle of testing your waters.
The tank I found is steel, and they swap; I don't care what it looks like as long as it works right. It was recommended to try a paintball place, but those are few and far between here, and don't seem to stay in business.

Do you know how long a 10 gallon tank lasts before it has to be refilled.

I am so excited for co2!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
10 pound tank should last you for a while. I'd say around 5 or 6 months and the swap where I'm at is only $8 bucks.
Yay! way cheaper than excel. I think he said the swap was $10 or $12, but everything on the island is more, but it's in between work and home which makes it very convenient.

My son just rolled his eyes when I told him I was going for the co2; he said as long as we don't have to eat plants and bettas....and he warned the guy I just started seeing that I am obsessed and expensive...so far it hasn't scared him off :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm also obsessed with planted tanks:-D. I learn stuff about the hobby every single day, I'm all ways doing some kind of research on different plant species and I all ways have ideas for different aquascapes. It's just I wish I had the money for about 20 different tanks lol.

Once you run CO2 your gonna see your plants pearl, which such a lovey sight.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do the same thing...right now my time is being spent on ferts, and keeping alive what I have left..and I am starting to see progress :) I have started looking a lot at the aquascapes and will come up with my dream tank...I thinkg there is nothing prettier than a planted tank with color!

Is it possible for my dwarf lily to start turning red after one dose of ferts? It was more of a yellowish..sure wish I had taken a pic of it yesterday to show the difference. Before yesterday, I used root tabs, exel, and flourish...and I had the flourish dose too low.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Certainly is! My Dwarf Lily was always red! Almost looked like a Tiger honestly ^_^

·
Registered
674 Posts
Certainly is! My Dwarf Lily was always red! Almost looked like a Tiger honestly ^_^
What kind of light are you running? I hear high light brings out reds very nicely. I also hear low nitrates around 5ppm and more iron can also bring out the red color, but this is what I read and hear from other people. I really need to learn how to keep red plants, because my next project is dealing with only red plants in the background/midground. Alternanthera reineckii mini plant I want looks naturally red, but I guess I'll see what happens when I run high light, CO2, heavy ferts, and amazonia aqua soil.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
My old tank when I had the lily just ran two CFL's 6,500K above the tank. I dosed Flourish twice a week back then but that was it.

My Myriophyllum Tuberculam is super red right now, I have to clean off the dust algae on it and get some pictures but it's under my Finnex Fugeray Planted+ 6,700K LED light strip and holy mackerel, that thing is worth its money!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
lol, well I do prefer the look of 6,500-6,700K. 10,000K just gets too blue for me, your plants will appreciate the red lights much better than blue. Blue and purple are good at penetrating deep into the water but most of our plants will utilize the red lights which is why I liked the Planted+ because it has red, blue and white lights (oo, very patriotic I just realized! lol)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hear good things about these Finnex lights. I have the Finnex Ray 2. Once I get these plants going, the next one I want to try is Nesaea Pedicellata Golden. I love the yellow! and red and green, all combined.

I would love to see a pic of that lilnaugrim!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.