Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since most filters require a filter baffle to work for bettas, I figured I'd show a step-by-step tutorial on how to build one from an ordinary water bottle. Make sure that the bottle is clean and contained only water prior to using. Rinse in HOT water, but never bleach or use soap that could be absorbed by the plastic.

Step 1: You will need a water bottle, as shown below, scissors, and a piece of tape. Pretty simple right ;-).

IMG_0239.jpg

Step2: Measure the approximate area of your filter outflow so you know how long the baffle will need to be cut.

IMG_0240.jpg

Step 3: Measure the amount of water bottle that you will need to cut. Note, do NOT use marker to mark your bottle unless you are certain to cut any marked areas off. I used sharpie just for the purpose of making it easy to see in pictures. A small slit in the plastic is the easiest way to mark the bottle.

IMG_0241.jpg

Step 4: Cut both ends off of the bottle so that you are left with the middle piece that you marked off.

IMG_0242.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg

Step 5: Now you will need to cut the remaining ring lengthwise

IMG_0244.jpg
IMG_0245.jpg

Step 6: Stretch one end of the curved plastic over the bottom lip of the outflow area, and tape the other end to the cover to keep it in place. Now when the water flows out it will hit the plastic and be redirected to the sides with much less force. Now plug your filter in and watch as you now have no surface current, but still have a filtered tank :).

IMG_0246.jpg
IMG_0247.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thank you for the pictures and the easy to follow instructions. Great how-to guide for someone who has never tried this before!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad it could help :)

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
it does work great. I have to find a good way to tape my seeing as the top of my filter is open and the water comes out. Right now it sits on there without tape but if I bump it or if the filter wobbles it comes right off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try this:
Poke two holes in the top
Tie fishing line to one hole
Add a small fishing weight to the line
Tie the other end
Hang the weight over the back of the filter
Be careful that the weight is placed so that it can't fall off the back of the filter and swing into the aquarium.
Like this:

·
Registered
68 Posts
What a fantastic idea! And EXCELLENT step-by-step guide you made, thank you for sharing! I've got a few questions about this for you:

(1) I know that bettas can be curious to a fault. Has anyone had a betta try to explore and get into the filter baffle?

(2) Do you find that the edges of the water bottle need to be smoothed out (too sharp?)

(3) I'm using an Eclipse tank - has anyone put this baffle on one? I'm wondering if it would fit around or possibly hinder a Bio-Wheel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont know about the Betta getting into the baffle--but if you are concerned with the edges, cut them as smooth as possible and I thinksome air tubing would work if you wlit it and slide it around the edges of the bottle.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I used this for awhile when I had Alpha. He loved hiding behind the filter before I put this in his tank, then he became to most active little betta ever. I took it out once I got my sorority though. They are a little bit better at swimming than Alpha was.

It was a quick and cheap way to help my little Alpha become more active.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for posting this! ... I have been looking at ways to decrease current all day and this is the easiest way I have seen. I was able to set it up in like 3 minutes, and my sorority is now much happier!!

~Rachel

·
Registered
213 Posts
This was amazing! I've trying for days to cut down my current (and noise) and this worked perfectly! the best part... it was easy and cheap and my fish love it :) Thanks for posting this!

1 - 20 of 308 Posts