Boiling the driftwood would kill everything so that would be the best, safest route to go.
I am for sure going to toss the plants, though I am sad about it because they are nice plants and I spent a pretty penny on them (well, a pretty penny for me, anyway, lol).I'm sorry to hear about your fish.
Generally I never recommend keeping anything porous from a tank where an inhabitant has died from unknown causes.
There's no way to kill Mycobacterium Marinum (fish tuberculosis) unless you soak the entire piece of wood in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for roughly 10 to 15 minutes. And unfortunately there's no 100% way to ensure that your fish did not pass away from myco without a vet testing the fish.I am for sure going to toss the plants, though I am sad about it because they are nice plants and I spent a pretty penny on them (well, a pretty penny for me, anyway, lol).
But I do want to keep the driftwood if I can. It's a really nice piece.
So bleaching the tank is not enough either?There's no way to kill Mycobacterium Marinum (fish tuberculosis) unless you soak the entire piece of wood in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for roughly 10 to 15 minutes. And unfortunately there's no 100% way to ensure that your fish did not pass away from myco without a vet testing the fish.
The choice is of course yours to make.
Bleach does not penetrate the cell walls of the myco bacteria.So bleaching the tank is not enough either?
How am I supposed to sterilize the tank, silk plants, filter, etc., then?Bleach does not penetrate the cell walls of the myco bacteria.
So sorry for your losses, it's so hard to lose fishes. *hug*Hate to say it is either risk it, or throw it. TBH, it is almost unrealistic for most hobbyists to chuck everything, as it all costs money. But that risk is always there. Chances are it was not TB, as there are so many diseases, bacteria and parasites, along with genetic defects, that could kill a fish without symptoms, that it is statistically likely to be something else. TB is the hardest to erradicate, and the bleach/rinse/rinse/rinse again does efffectively eliminate risks of *most* of the others. But if it was TB, it can and will strike again.
I have just had 6 fishy deaths, in my breeding tank, as I needed a QT big enough for all of them... I have no idea what did it.... :/ So, I am bleaching my tank and boiling my wood. Then, as awful of me as it is, I am going to buy a healthy, cheap, wildtype female or two to QT in there. If they last a month, they get a new, nice home with me and I will be happier about putting in £50 worth of females. Sounds horrid, but I can't throw that much away if it is TB. I am not sure if I will ever be confident using it for breeding again, though...
It really is a gamble, but you can minimise your risk of losses. If you sterlise the tank, and boil the wood, and then the new occupant is fine, you have saved a fortune on buying new equipment. But the risk must be acknowledged.
I may try that, thanks for the suggestion!I have bleach dipped driftwood before to deal with algae, just plugged and filled the utility sink with tap, added bleach, stirred and put in wood. After a 30 minute soak I rinsed thoroughly then boiled for several hours (changing boil water every hour) to make sure it was safe before going back into the tank. Note bleaching may discolor wood (lighten in).
Yeah, I went on Tuesday for their (so I guess I have had him 5 days) shipment, but they didn't have any new fish, really. I saw him there and took pity on him. I've successfully gotten several other bettas that looked sad in the store and are freaking swans now (as in: totally gorgeous and recovered from being in crappy cups). I honestly thought he would be okay, and I really want to add a CT to my collection.All you can do is give it a go. If you get another fish, pick the healthiest one you can find (try to get in to the store on delivery day, or consider shipping from a breeder) and ensure you keep the water in tip top condition.
If the other fish has problems, it's safe to say you'll need to throw the driftwood and probably get something from the vets to sterilize your tank. So, it is a risk, and if you wanted to be 100% sure you would have to throw the driftwood, but that's not really for us to advise you on. If it was me... I don't know. I haven't been in the same situation so I'm not sure if I'd risk it or not!
That's dedication. I feed mine with tooth picks..XD!!!Tell me about it. I just spend twenty ****ing minutes tweezing individual water fleas to my betta who is having some kind of trouble eating/swallowing at the moment!!
When I lost two very expensive groups of micro fish in a brand new 6G Fluval Edge with plants, Tahitian moon sand, driftwood, rainbow rock, etc. etc. etc. to fish tuburculosis I tossed everything except the tank and the filter housing. Those I soaked in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. I have yet to this day been able to bring myself to use that tank or that filter. It is collecting dust in the basement, and my heart hurts every time I walk by it to go do laundry. I lost hundreds of dollars after only having them 6 months (it took that long for the Myco to even show up). I was heartsick that I had to throw so much out, and even more heartsick that regardless of my efforts I could not save a single fish. That gutted me, and I almost said screw it and sold all my aquatic stuff and fish.How am I supposed to sterilize the tank, silk plants, filter, etc., then?
None of those articles have anything to do with mycobacterium marinum. Human tuberculosis is completely different from aquatic tuberculosis. Vinegar will not kill aquatic tuberculosis.http://www.brightsurf.com/news/headl...obacteria.html
This source in of itself is an article on an abstract that I believe came from here (you can find other write ups on this)
Here is a full length article of one study:
It must be full strength to do any good.