Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to a LPS to get my water tested and and ended up picking up a few things (impulse buyer...shame on me). While I was there, the employee tole me that my ammonia was a little high, and recommended I purchase StressZyme. What exactly does this product do? does it actually lower ammonia or was he just trying to get me to buy stuff? I question his credibility because he told me to never do 100% water changes, and do 50% water changes every other week, without even asking what size tank I have, which I know is complete BS. anyway, I went to another employee and asked what kinds of live food i should get for my bettas, and he told me brine shrimp. So here comes the problem: I dont know how to use stressZyme(or if I should use it) or what it does or ANYTHING about it and I have a bag of live brine shrimp with no ideas as to how to feed it to my boys or how many. Help please =)

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I wouldn't use the stressZyme....first you need to find out why you have ammonia. What is your source water...well water, tap water...etc....

What was the ammonia reading and what type of test product did the pet shop use and the other water pram numbers too.

Have you tested the source water, if not, you need to make a full test on that to rule out the source water as the source.

What kind of dechlorinator are you using....some that neutralize ammonia can change the ammonia to ammonium and the test product can't tell the difference.

Any other additives used in the tank, tank size, filter, live plants, how much and how often are the water changes, any tank mates, water temp, is the Betta symptomatic to ammonia or having any problems, appetite...etc....how long have you had the Betta in this system.

The Brine shrimp-strain them through a brine shrimp net and rinse well and feed.....I assume these are full grown brine shrimp hatched by the pet shop...correct.....you don't want to add any of the water they are in to the tank water....full of nasty stuff and its salt water.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use tap water with Stress Coat. the employee didnt tell me the test readings and he was using the API test kit. I have a 5.5, no live plants, I usually do 100% water changes each week, but I am going to start doing partial water changes like you told me to do. temp is 79F, they have been like this for at least 4 months. And the only symptoms are them being lazy and laying down all the time instead of swimming around.
And I dont have a brine shrimp net, is there anything else I could use?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts