Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be fun to start a thread where you can share your betta's funny quirks. I'll start!

So I've gotten into the habit of watching My Little Pony before going to bed. Lol, which is strange considering I'm 17 but it's a nice little show to calm the brain for sleep. Anyway, Steve was recently moved into my room into an upgraded 6g and while he has all these plants he could play in he just loves to watch the TV if it's on, especially when it's My Little Pony. Probably because of the intriguing and complicated story line (OR just all the bright colors). I've also noticed that he's constantly peeking over my shoulder to watch what I'm doing on my laptop if I'm sitting in bed. He's a cutie. :lol:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well, my betta Feather likes to "digs" in gravel. He basically sticks his face in it and comes out.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
LOL.

Mine will go in one corner of the tank, and swim along the back of the tank, through the filter current and then turn around and do it again and again and again. (my filter is baffled so the current is on the back)

It's like she is having fun. :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Velvet sometimes spits his food out before eating it.

When he eats his pellets, he nods hid head up and down. lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ky stalks the Cory cats. He prowls behind them along the sand with his dorsal up then when he sees they've found some food (I sometimes hide pellets or a bloodworm or two for the cats to find without Ky eating them) he'll shove his nose in the middle of them and gobble whatever it is up. Sometimes he jumps the gun and end up with a mouth full of sand.

Last night I gave them a treat of frozen daphnia. Ky wasn't keen and as I was watching him with my face very close to the glass he swam up to the glass, we were practically nose to nose and he spits some daphnia out at me, flares at me and swishes off. Was as if he was saying "here! Have your cr*ppy daphnia back and go get me some bloodworm!"

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Ky stalks the Cory cats. He prowls behind them along the sand with his dorsal up then when he sees they've found some food (I sometimes hide pellets or a bloodworm or two for the cats to find without Ky eating them) he'll shove his nose in the middle of them and gobble whatever it is up. Sometimes he jumps the gun and end up with a mouth full of sand.

Last night I gave them a treat of frozen daphnia. Ky wasn't keen and as I was watching him with my face very close to the glass he swam up to the glass, we were practically nose to nose and he spits some daphnia out at me, flares at me and swishes off. Was as if he was saying "here! Have your cr*ppy daphnia back and go get me some bloodworm!"
LOL. He sounds so cute :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Portal Prime likes to mess with the thermometer. It's a digital, and I have it floating on top of the tank. He will nose it around, flare at it, and he even tried to lay on it.

When I have my glasses on his will sit in front of his tank and stare at me. But when I have them off he will flare and swim around as if I'm intruding in his space xD

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Well, my Betta Stalks Me!!! I keep him in the Kitchen, and whenever I go to see him, and get some food out of the Fridge, he follows me around!!! He mostly just waits at his Feeding Area. It's technically the Front of the Tank, and there's a hole on the Lid so I just drop the Pellets in there. The other Foods, I play 'Chase' with him. He also watches the Thermometer sometimes. He just literally looks at it. I think he's wondering what it is. He even Flares at me ALL the time!!! He's adorable. I <3 him so much. ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL and this is why I just adore bettas! Hilda, one of my girls, is also obsessed with the thermometer in her tank, she likes to sleep next to it and swim between it and the glass.

xD Ky sounds like a character. "What is this rubbish!? How DARE you even put this in my tank." xD xD xD

Stalker bettas? Whatever do you mean? *nervous twitch and peek over shoulder only to have Steve staring intently at the moniter* Hahaha....o_O

Eugeney likes to 'exercise' by swimming under the filter outtake. She also seems to enjoy swimming right under the flow of fresh water when I do water changes even though it's a colder than the heated water.

I woke up today and Steve has scraped himself against the gravel or something. There's like a 5in, Steve width line in the gravel and whatever he did it's ripped his fins. PFF, silly boy. I'm also happy to announce that he's finally exploring his new home! I actually panicked today when I couldn't see him and when I finally did he was wedged right up next to the heater and one of silk leaves just snoozing away. xD

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Buddha has an interesting habit of hiding...very well.
My tank is only a 2 gallon bowl, and there is a turtle toy which he like behind. And when the lamp is off and my room is dark, he likes to go in the shadows.
So I'm often wondering if he grew legs and walked out xD

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hannibal exercises using the flow from his filter like a little fishie treadmill. He'll do this for quite a while before tiring of it.
He also likes to bite. Hard. Every chance he gets. He once clamped onto my finger and shook like he was trying to tear a chunk out of my finger. Actually managed to thrash my hand about.

Gwynfor dances when I sing. XD

Odin throws fits if his turtle decoration isn't exactly where he wants it. Goes so far as to bite off his tail.

Lolth lurks. o_o She literally lurks. Just about all the time. There is a barrel decoration in the sorority that she has firmly claimed as HERS. She lurks in the darkness within it. She'll poke her pale little head out slowly and then withdraw in this slow and creepy way.

Eva sleeps on the gravel..

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Not bettas - but my guppies are little wierdos.

Mango is a schizophrenic psychopath. o_O Sometimes he claims areas of the tank and if anyone goes near his area they will be chased out. The rest of the time he just chills out. Mango was in solitary confinement for a month and then re-introduced.

And all of the guppies love when I pour the new water into the tank during water changes. They swim back and forth over where I'm pouring the water. lol
Mango, and Monarch sleep on the gravel. Flutterby did too when he was alive. :(

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Not bettas - but my guppies are little wierdos.

Mango is a schizophrenic psychopath. o_O Sometimes he claims areas of the tank and if anyone goes near his area they will be chased out. The rest of the time he just chills out. Mango was in solitary confinement for a month and then re-introduced.

And all of the guppies love when I pour the new water into the tank during water changes. They swim back and forth over where I'm pouring the water. lol
Mango, and Monarch sleep on the gravel. Flutterby did too when he was alive. :(

ROFL @ "schizophrenic psychopath" xD

·
Registered
134 Posts
My betta Kaida will "dance" (as in swim around quickly and open and close his mouth) when I make the "come here" motion with my finger

·
Registered
249 Posts
Both Aris and Galileo wiggle around excitedly whenever I come by. Galileo also opens and closes his mouth as if he's saying, "Food? Food! Food. Food. Food?"

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
When I feed gandalf he picks his food up from the gravel and carries it to his betta hammock, floats in the water and uses the hammock as a plate!!!Also he dances when I sing to him!!!Lol his faves are Jessie J and Kelly Clarkson!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Captain Contesso Blurbleface is really dumb with his food, I really need to take a video of this. I literally have to point out to him where his pellets are or he won't find them. Sometimes then he proceeds to try to leap out of the water to eat them but ALWAYS misses, causing them to sink to the bottom and he rarely catches those.
He doesn't get that this isn't working
I swear he'd just starve in the wild because he'd just be missing and losing all his food

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I feed gandalf he picks his food up from the gravel and carries it to his betta hammock, floats in the water and uses the hammock as a plate!!!Also he dances when I sing to him!!!Lol his faves are Jessie J and Kelly Clarkson!!!
That is the cutest thing I have ever heard. He likes to sit down to a nice luncheon!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts