Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so his fins still look awful, they are getting more ripped and discolored (slowly, but I can tell it's progressing) but he is still eating normally. He has been doing A LOT of bottom swimming the last few days, and more hiding, but the temperature/parameters are all fine. I have no idea what's going on with him. Like I said in my last post, I thought it was fin rot, but his water has always been in good condition. I treated him with AQ salt for about a week, but he was making no progress whatsoever. I have a picture, but it's not very clear. The tail fin is the most torn, but has less discoloration. The anal fin is getting worse, and has small spots of red/black and the white-ish color. The dorsal has the black and white color as well. PLEASE, if anyone has any ideas, let me know. I want to try and treat this before there is nothing I can do.

linktornfins.jpg

·
Registered
655 Posts
Try and get some better pictures if you can, it takes awhile, I know, but if you can then maybe I can help you out. From what I see in the picture above he looks fine with just a slightly torn tail. :\

I suggest taking any plastic plants out of his tank too- i can see one in the picture. Bettas should always be kept with silk or live plants, that may be what is causing his fins to rip.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the only plastic plant that has ever been in the tank, it's in the corner, and it's been there since day one. That's what I thought initially, but he has never had any issues with it before. I can take it out if it's going to make a difference though. I will keep trying to get a picture.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Are you sure if it's not fin rot or something? Though the picture is a little blurry I can see a bit of black on the egde of his fins :eek:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes he does have black and other discoloration. I'm pretty sure it's not fin rot, it doesn't look like any of the pictures I have seen, and his water is never dirty. Like I said I tried AQ salt but there was no change. He has just slowly been getting worse.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm sorry, I really don't know what to tell you. If he's flaring at you then he probably doesn't feel too bad. Hopefully someone else can tell you what's wrong with him.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Its really hard to tell by the pic.....

Need more info.....tank size, filter, live plants, water temp, diet/appetite, tank mates, how much and how often are the water changes, additives used, how long have you had him, approx age and what is his tail type...

With the salt treatment-did you Qt and how much salt did you use, water changes any tannins used and type of nutrition.....

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
He is still eating and everything so I know it's not terrible, I just don't want whatever it is to get to that point. Sorry if I sound rude or anything, I'm just really frustrated that I can't figure this out.

He's in a ten gallon tank, the only live plant is a moss ball, he has a baffled filter, the water is 77 degrees, he eats three or four pellets daily which he is always excited about, I have had him since March 31, don't know how old, he is a veil tail. I did QT and used 1 teaspoon of AQ salt per gallon, 100% change every day, and no tannins.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
If he is not tail/fin biting the tattered fin are most likely due to water movement and possible space-over use of the fins.....often the delicate long fin Betta can have problems keeping fins intact from over use.....

Sometimes its a choice......intact fins or swimming space and filtration-just keep the water quality good to prevent secondary infections and offer quality varied diet to support nutritional needs.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, and he is definitely NOT biting, I watch very closely for that and have never seen any signs. Would you suggest moving him into a smaller tank with no filter? I have a 2.5 glass tank available (even though it seems SO small, especially compared to the ten gallon) so if you suggest trying that I could.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I was wondering if you need just do more water changes. I have tail bitter and his tail heals really fast when i do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week in his 2.5 gall.

And I guess finish his aq salt treatment of 10 days since you already did a week of the teatment.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His treatment is done, and his ten gallon is cycling so I do a water change every three days at the most. He is in the ten gallon, I only said I COULD put him in the 2.5, if needed. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Initially I did think it was that, but this has been going on for weeks, and that disease was said to spread/kill in about a day. Thankfully that's not what the problem is.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Sorry since i don't have 10 gall i don't know about it. But if you want to try to do what i do. I have 2.5 gall and i do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week and like i wrote his tail healing really fast. If you decide to transfer him to 2.5 gall keep 50% of his original water.

Also like you wrote he is eating and there is not changes in his behavior for weeks which is good so hopefully it not fast spreading disease which will kill him fast. So i think watch him very closely make sure his fins don’t get worse, red/black spots don’t get bigger/spread, make sure he don’t get lethargic (lay at the bottom and come up only for air,or may stay at the surface in corner);looks paler,color is dull, turn gray, make sure he don’t have open sores, white cottony patches….

Can you post another picture? How he doing?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
If he getting worse you can use medications since you already treated him with salt and it didn’t help. Just want to be sure that you used right dosage though. What dosage of the aquarium salt did you use?

Good medications for gram negative and gram positive bacteria is Tetracycling API or Maracyn and Maracyn 2. But you need to use both of them together. One is for gram positive and another one for gram negative.
Also I know that Tetracycline API you can mix with Fungas Eliminator by Jungle. So you can treat fish if it has bacterial and fungal infection at once.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I will definitely do that if I decide to move him. He is acting normally, but it seems he is doing a lot of bottom swimming. He's not LAYING on the bottom, but he will "sit" on the bottom, and swim on that level. He still eats and gets excited to see me though. Also his fins look to me like they keep getting worse, but slowly, not rapidly. I'll try to get another picture.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
You saying that he sit on the bottom , did he do it before or it something new?
Also you saying his fins getting worse, what is the symptoms of that? Looks like you not sure?

I don't know what other people think. I am not an expert, but i would really worry if his behavior changed or will get worse and if you sure that his tail getting worse.

Also what dose of the aq salt you gave him?

EDIT:
not sure how often and how much water changed you do, but i would try to do more water changes and see if it helps.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, I should've been on here earlier but I had a busy weekend. He is still the same, looks like it slowly continues to get worse, but he still eats and swims, so I'm still at a loss.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts