Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been slowly working on setting up a planted 5g tank but haven't had anywhere sturdy to keep it. My mom should be bringing me a sideboard this weekend though so I'll be able to finally start the cycle 馃槃.

I wanted a 30g but had to talk my apartment into allowing me to even have a 5g so I was planning to stock it with one betta and one snail. Today I picked-up a planted 3g tank (to use for quarantine) but it also came with a betta, two snails, and one neon tetra. The previous owner said that she had had the four of them together in the 3g tank since November.

So here is where I need advice: Since they're already used to each other, should I just move all four to the 5g tank? Should I move the betta and snails to the 5g and get a few more tetras for the 3g*? Or should I try to rehome the tetra?

Thanks for the advice!

*This is risky since I'm only supposed to have a 5g, I could hopefully talk my way through an inspection though. If this is the best option, how many tetra for a 3g? My understanding is that the tetra minimum is 6 in 10g)

Update: As soon as I turned their light off for the evening, the betta started going after the tetra. Since I can't get a larger tank to house a large school of tetra with the betta, I'm feeling like they should be separated.

Super Moderator
Yes re home the tetra. They need at least 6 of their kind to be happy and they prefer tanks 10 gal and up. They are also nippy little fellas. Other than the snails I wouldn鈥檛 put anything in the 5 with a betta. And just for some future info. There isn鈥檛 really any fish that go well as a one to one with a betta.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the good info. I'll try to find a good home for the tetra.

It's been many years since I've had an aquarium and this forum has been a great source for research. Once I was restricted to a 5g, I knew that a single betta and snail would be it. The two snails I have now are a push but fortunately, the betta doesn't seem to mind them and may even like them - he uses them as a bed when they're near the surface (don't worry, I'll have a good resting place for him in the 5g). I'll have to see if his behavior changes towards them once he doesn't have the tetra to bother.

Side note, the betta and snails now have names :)

The betta was supposed to be Duodenum (back in college I had Epiglottis and planned Duodenum next - biology labs will do that to you) but it didn't feel right. Instead, since he seems to have a strong predatory-drive at night, I wanted to recognize two of the greatest nocturnal hunters - leopards and lions. So the betta is now Leo (or Leopold).​
Then for the snails, they have so much more personality than I expected. I'm a Marine Biologist so I know marine snails but these are my first freshwater; they seem to be much more active. One moved so fast I've gone with Turbo (cliche, I know. I'm watching Turbo tonight to see if another character name fits). The second likes to climb to the top then float down so he is Felix in honor of Felix Baumgartner, a world-record-holding free faller who has fallen 19.5 miles prior to deploying his parachute.​

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know for sure what they are because the previous owner didn't know. Based on their size and bright gold color, I decided to go with them being Gold Inca. You can see Felix in the background of the pic above (Turbo is just out-of-frame above Leo). Your question prompted me to google "gold inca snail vs mystery snail" and apparently "the Gold Inca snail is also known as the Mystery snail" - so they're both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts