Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently my Betta died, and i have an empty 5 gallon tank that i would like to do something with in the next couple weeks. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what i could put in it. i was thinking like a few guppies or 2 female betta, but would like to have some input first.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
IMO 5g is too small for two female Bettas, they need room to get away from each other. Many on here will advise against only 2 females because they'd only have each other to pick on, there should be more so the aggression is spread out. Some use a 5g for snails or shrimp, personally I wouldn't use a 5g for multiple fish or schooling fish.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Well, in my experience 2 females can fully stock a 5 gallon. BUT, as Shell said the tank can't hold them together freely. There needs to be a divider since 2 females aren't enough for a sorority. You'll need 4 females and the minimum of the tank size is 10 gallons. So if you want 2 females, the tank needs to be divided.
For the guppies, no. They need at least a 20 Gallon IMO as they love to be in groups and they're so fast. Their bioload is pretty big as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts