Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have a 15 gallon tank that is technically a column, but it still has a large amount of surface area and is only about 1.5 times taller than it is wide, if that makes sense. The base is square. I bought three harlequin rasboras yesterday to add to the tank because I was really hoping to get some middle swimmers. I am a bit overstocked right now, but the filter is rather strong, I keep up with water changes, and the tank is planted, heated, filtered, and cycled.

My current stocking of this tank:

1 Veiltail Betta, George
3 Julii Cory Cats
1 Peppered Cory Cat
3 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Mystery snails (temporary)

I am thinking that maybe the rasboras aren't worth my trouble because they get in the betta's space and between the cory's swimming up and down playing with their reflections and the rasboras swimming everywhere, George seems pretty stressed. Also, the rasboras aren't really in a big enough group right now to be really happy.

Now for my plan. I took in my friend's peppered cory because she was overstocked and only had one cory, and we figured my tank that had some corys was better than in an overstocked tank with no corys. The issue is that while he schools with the juliis sometimes, he is often left out and it seems like he is more chasing after the other corys than really being included in their shenanigans. What I am thinking is I could return/put the rasboras in my 10 gal tank (probably just return them) and maybe I will buy one or two (realistically/spacewise probably just one) more peppered cory(s) so that she has a friend. The corys don't stress the betta out. Do you think this is a better option than the rasboras? In both setups the tank is overstocked, but with more peppers at least the overstocking does some good? Eh? George is hiding from all the fish right now and he looks pretty stressed. He used to come out to play with the cories and now he just tries to hide from everyone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmmm if this was my tank I'd go with just the bettas and maybe 5 of the julii. I've never been comfortable overstocking tanks though. I'd definatley remove the rasbora if they stress the Betta as there is a lot of stock in the tank and a stressed fish can cause a disease outbreak. One thing I'd be sure to do is remove the mystery snails. They get pretty large and back when I used to have a ten gallon with nothing in it but two mystery snails I had to do water changes every other day or ammonia would rise and the tank would smell. When mystery snails get big they are kings of waste and slime production even a cycled tank can have trouble when they are added to the bioload lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm if this was my tank I'd go with just the bettas and maybe 5 of the julii. I've never been comfortable overstocking tanks though. I'd definatley remove the rasbora if they stress the Betta as there is a lot of stock in the tank and a stressed fish can cause a disease outbreak. One thing I'd be sure to do is remove the mystery snails. They get pretty large and back when I used to have a ten gallon with nothing in it but two mystery snails I had to do water changes every other day or ammonia would rise and the tank would smell. When mystery snails get big they are kings of waste and slime production even a cycled tank can have trouble when they are added to the bioload lol
True to the snails. I'm just holding onto them for now because I don't know what to do with them. I'd like to keep one but I am not sure where to put the others. Another option is just to remove the rasboras and just keep the rest of what I have (the betta, 3 juliis, and 1 peppered). I get bored with tanks fairly easily and I will definitely get a new tank before these guys get too big for the tank. Also, I've had George for almost a year, and he was full grown when I got him. So I'm not sure how much longer I will even have a betta tank. The rasboras kind of annoy me anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now my plan is to have my three juliis, the peppered, one snail, and the betta. I recently bought this tank, so I cant upgrade yet, but I will upgrade to a long version of the tank probably next summer. Right now I will be living in a tiny dorm and cannot fit a tank any bigger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts