Betta Fish Forum banner

stocking my 25 gallon

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
So i have a heated, lit, and filtered 25 gallon with 2 female bettas and 2 feeder guppies.

I wanted to get more fish to fill the tank up a bit more and this is the list of fish I came up with:
Cory cats-2 or 3
Platies-2 females, 1 male
Silver Tipped Tetras-3-4
Female bettas-3
Snails-1-2
Please let me know if the tank would be too overcrowded with that many fish or if I should plan on getting more of a certain kind listed above.

I know there may be some controversy about the silver tips, but i've housed a group of three in the same tank with my females and a pleco and they did very well. I am not an expert on the species and am basing my purchasing of the particular fish on my experience with them.

Anyway, please let me know if I have to many of a certain kind or not enough!

Kind regards-
~Sydnie

See less See more
#2 ·
1st, you should get three or 4 more female bettas before adding more fish. Female beta sororities need at least 5 to be stable.

As for the fish you wanted to add:
Cories : cories are a schooling fish and they are much happier in groups of 4 and larger. Much more active too in a large group. :)
Platties: Your male to female ratio is good there.
Tetras: tetras are also a schooling fish and are much happier in groups of 5 and more. :)

I think you could do something like this:

-6 Female Bettas
-2 Feeder Guppies
-5 Panda Cories
-1 Snail

#3 ·
I'd get more tetras and cories. Maybe take out the platies from the list.
It's good that you want to get more female betta, but if those two are already in there, you're going to have to take out the females you have, rearrange the whole tank decor, and then add all the females back in together.

Also if those tetras are considered not good tank mates for betta, it's probably because they are nippy. If you get more they'll be less nippy, and it's usually more of a concern with a male betta. The females have less fins for them to target, and are able to swim away faster from them so I think it'd be fine.

#4 ·
So more corries and tetras?

I do plan on rearranging the tank anyway because I'm getting new plants and stuff.
So when adding the fish, should I start from the bottom up? Like put the corries in first and the female bettas in last?

#6 ·
Olympia has you covered. If you do cories and tetras with 4 girls, then no snail.

#7 ·
so... no snails in the tank?

So start with less aggressive and work my way up to the females. And be sure to rearrange the tank when adding my new females.

What kind of plants (preferably floating) can I keep in there with this particular group of fish?

BTW Olympia, I love your little quote in your sig! I put it in mine if that's OK!

#8 ·
You can basically keep any plants you like that will grow under your tank conditions (lighting, substrate, etc). Some good floating ones are duckweed, frogbit and hornwort. My girls love the dense cover that duckweed provides (I hate it, but eh, it makes them happy, especially since my tank is open-topped).

With a sorority of say, 6, 2 guppies (I'd get another one, as they like groups of 3+), a school of 6 tetras and 6 cories, you still definitely have room for a mystery snail or nerite snail if you want one. :) For a twenty gallon, my general rule is: 2 schools of mid-top swimmers, 1 school of bottom feeders and a centrepiece fish. You can substitute a snail for the centrepiece fish without any bioload dramas, especially with live plants. :) I know yours isn't a twenty gallon, but I'm allowing the remaining 5 gallons for the guppies.

#9 ·
Thanks lol it's quite popular. xD
Moss ball, anubias, java fern, are hardy starters. I have a wisteria but it's slowly dying, it's a floater also, i don't know what's wrong with mine.

#10 ·
Alright, sounds good! Eventually, I will replace all my plastic plants with live ones, but for right now, floating plants will be all I can handle!

I'll be sure to post pictures of the tank when I get all my fish in. My birthdays on the 23 of march, so it might be a while!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.