Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Via Filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided with another Male

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Ocean Nutrition, Daphina, Mysis
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2x a day depending on meal

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? at least twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10-60 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and Stability, possibly banana leaves or IAL

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Currently Cycling
Ammonia:.25ppm
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.4-7.6

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins Torn from Glass surfing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Glass Surfing, Surfing leads to him laying at bottom of tank gasping for air.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Day after received
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aqua Salt, upping temp, and changing tank decor
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4 months

So I received a betta via ebay recently. Poor guy, named Rin, was lost in the mail for a week. Assumed he was dead until he arrived at my home and alive. I've had him for roughly a week and he has about 7 gallons to himself, yet issues with glass surfing persist. During his episodes he will begin to panic and then seemingly tire. Throughout the day he switches from a perfectly normal betta to one who seems insane. I've also noticed after his glass surfing episodes he'll lay at the tank's bottom, fins spread, breathing heavily. Water changes don't seem to do much. His tank mate Percy has shown no signs of distress or illness. Confused if it's something wrong with my water, tank is cycling and I'm using Prime, Stability, and WC to control levels or if the issue stems from his 3 week time spent in transit with usps. Checked for ick, velvet, etc and nothing can be seen. Also I know he's definitely glass surfing and not flashing, just not too sure what to do for him and his seeming panic attacks worry me. Thanks.

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
Hmm...maybe ammonia poisoning? I'm not 100% sure :). If he was in a bag of water for a week there would be a lot of ammonia in that bag. Also-the temperature is a little high. It's more comfortable within 76-82 degrees F.
If it is ammonia poisoning though-Epsom salt would help. It draws out the toxins. I believe it's got something to do with the mail :). Keep his water clean and add a bit of Stress coat to keep the stress levels down, since stress can kill.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^+1 to bailmint, QT him and try the salt. Even if it isn't ammonia it'll draw out any other poisons as well

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciated and noted on the temp. Honestly I only elevated it because I was worried about potential ick, but I'll definitely check into the salt. Thanks you two.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually just to be sure. When using epsom I use 1 tsp per gallon correct? Do I leave him in then do a water change the next day or is it more of just a 30 minute treatment?

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
1 tsp a gallon, and usually if he's in QT you should leave him in and do an 100% change a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts