Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my half moon betta, jean, two days ago and today i noticed he would purposely stick the side of his face (near his gills)to the rocks at the bottom and when the rock and his face touches, he would suddenly swim away like it shocked him or something! :-( he doesn't rub his face on the rocks or anything, just a small contact b/w his face and the rock makes him react like that! he did this more than 10 times today! I'm afraid there might be something wrong with his gills but i don't think it's inflamed. He also doesnt eat much, but i havent tried giving him pellets or bloodworms since when i got him i only bought flakes. Not sure if he's a picky eater because he only eats the very small flakes and when it was freshly given to him. Also, i did a 30% water change today.

Im pretty much a beginner in this so pls tell me if theres something wrong with my betta! Im currently working on getting him a larger tank, but that may take a couple of days since ill have to cycle it for at least 24 hours and i dont want jean to die on me before i get him a nice home!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I got my half moon betta, jean, two days ago and today i noticed he would purposely stick the side of his face (near his gills)to the rocks at the bottom and when the rock and his face touches, he would suddenly swim away like it shocked him or something! :-( he doesn't rub his face on the rocks or anything, just a small contact b/w his face and the rock makes him react like that! he did this more than 10 times today! I'm afraid there might be something wrong with his gills but i don't think it's inflamed. He also doesnt eat much, but i havent tried giving him pellets or bloodworms since when i got him i only bought flakes. Not sure if he's a picky eater because he only eats the very small flakes and when it was freshly given to him. Also, i did a 30% water change today.

Im pretty much a beginner in this so pls tell me if theres something wrong with my betta! Im currently working on getting him a larger tank, but that may take a couple of days since ill have to cycle it for at least 24 hours and i dont want jean to die on me before i get him a nice home!
He's probably looking for food. My little betta girl does it all the time. It's actually funny to watch her.
I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Running a new tank for 24 hours does not cycle the tank and isn't necessary. As long as you thoroughly rinse out the new tank and any new substrate and decor, you can move your betta into his new home. Ammonia builds quickly in a new tank and is toxic to fish, so you should get a liquid test kit and monitor the ammonia level in the new tank until it cycles. This takes several weeks. Read the stickied threads on the nitrogen cycle for more info. During this time, it is important to use a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia. Prime by Seachem is often recommended here because you can add it to the uncycled tank every day to protect fishie from small amounts of ammonia.

Flaked food is not recommended for bettas. It tends to dirty the tank water and can bloat some fish. Get your boy a good quality pellet. New Life Spectrum and Omega One are the brands most recommended here.

Have fun with your new boy.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Running a new tank for 24 hours does not cycle the tank and isn't necessary. As long as you thoroughly rinse out the new tank and any new substrate and decor, you can move your betta into his new home. Ammonia builds quickly in a new tank and is toxic to fish, so you should get a liquid test kit and monitor the ammonia level in the new tank until it cycles. This takes several weeks. Read the stickied threads on the nitrogen cycle for more info. During this time, it is important to use a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia. Prime by Seachem is often recommended here because you can add it to the uncycled tank every day to protect fishie from small amounts of ammonia.

Flaked food is not recommended for bettas. It tends to dirty the tank water and can bloat some fish. Get your boy a good quality pellet. New Life Spectrum and Omega One are the brands most recommended here.

Have fun with your new boy.
That's not the type of cycling she's talking about. You cycle a tank 24 hrs before you can put a fish in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know pet store employees say this, but I have yet to read advice from an experienced fish keeper on this forum who recommends it or says it is helpful. I believe it is based on a lack of understanding of what it means to cycle a tank. When I bought my 10 gallon tank, the friendly pet store employee gave me the same advice. I thanked her, set up my new tank, and put my fish right in.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I know pet store employees say this, but I have yet to read advice from an experienced fish keeper on this forum who recommends it or says it is helpful. I believe it is based on a lack of understanding of what it means to cycle a tank. When I bought my 10 gallon tank, the friendly pet store employee gave me the same advice. I thanked her, set up my new tank, and put my fish right in.
Is 40 years enough experience for you?

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
Yeah, you don't have to wait to put your fish in in my experience. The only fish I waited with was Milo but that's because the weather closed the store for 3 days xD. You really don't have to wait. Just wash out the aquarium, soak your substrate, and make sure your water parameters are good before putting it in the tank, you're good. If you aren't doing a Nitrate cycle, you can put them in right away, I mean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your replies!
Each of your answers were different so i'm not sure what i should go for. Anyway, i noticed he can actually have contact with the rock and any part of his body. He just acts like that when he does that specific slowly-touch-the-rock-with-the-side-of-your-face thing lol. And, i don't know if this will help but he made a bubble nest yesterday and today it's slightly thicker, does that mean he's doing fairly well?

And, about the cycling thing. So i can just put him right in once i get a new tank and clean it? Now that i think about it, i did actually read that i should cycle it for 24 hrs on petvalu's website.

but what is it actually? does it depend on one's preference?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Your betta is doing fine. If you feel that he is sick you can always post a thread in the sick area of the forums. As for "cycling" your tank, you cannot actually "cycle" a tank in just 24 hours; if you want more information about "cycling" you can look at the stickies in this section of the forum. Some of the information given at the pet store is not always right. If you get a new tank you can clean everything and put it together and then put your fish in after acclimating him and it will not matter. If you wait 24 hours it doesn't do anything for the tank expect let the water get to room temperature. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your betta is doing fine. If you feel that he is sick you can always post a thread in the sick area of the forums. As for "cycling" your tank, you cannot actually "cycle" a tank in just 24 hours; if you want more information about "cycling" you can look at the stickies in this section of the forum. Some of the information given at the pet store is not always right. If you get a new tank you can clean everything and put it together and then put your fish in after acclimating him and it will not matter. If you wait 24 hours it doesn't do anything for the tank expect let the water get to room temperature. Hope this helps!
Alright, thanks for the info! :-D

·
Registered
696 Posts
The 24 hr cycling is to run the water through the filter for 24 hrs to purify it and remove any toxicities. Also to let the heater bring the water to the right temp.

The other cycling is for nitrates and ammonia.

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
Oh, that has to do with the water parameters. My water is automatically 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite, 0 ppm Nitrate, and 7.8 pH. If it's that-it depends on the person's water.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ah alright. i think i'll just cycle it for 24 hrs since that was what i was gonna do originally & to remove the toxics as mart mentioned. For the parameters, i just have to make sure theyre at zero and pH around neutral right. Thanks again!

·
Registered
696 Posts
ah alright. i think i'll just cycle it for 24 hrs since that was what i was gonna do originally & to remove the toxics as mart mentioned. For the parameters, i just have to make sure theyre at zero and pH around neutral right. Thanks again!
Yeah, give them a check after the 24 hrs. And don't forget to put in the declorinator/chloramine product the night before when you start your 24 hr cycle.
Then after you add the fish is when you will start to do the other cycle. You'll need to keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrates. If you don't have an API test kit, the full kit, not just separate ones, do get one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, give them a check after the 24 hrs. And don't forget to put in the declorinator/chloramine product the night before when you start your 24 hr cycle.
Then after you add the fish is when you will start to do the other cycle. You'll need to keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrates. If you don't have an API test kit, the full kit, not just separate ones, do get one.
Thanks for the help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts