Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I know bubblenests are not a problem for betta fish and they are a sign that they are happy, however lately both my betta fishes have been making bubblenests at the same time. Literally as if they were competing with each other. I'm on vacation and sadly I had to jar my bettas in one gallon bowls.
I have a female betta fish baby, who is finally getting bigger, she's in a gallon jar between the boys. When I first got her the boys didn't pay her any mind. She liked watching them and any other movements and she kept them from flaring. She's now 10 weeks old and noticeable with an egg spot.
Idk if this is nature taking its course and the boys are making bubblenests because she's maturing or because they are both amazingly happy and make bubblenests every other day. At the same time.

As I write this post they are both making bubblenests like if they are in sync. Its weird

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
They are competing, for her attention. Not weird at all.
And just an FYI, bubblenests don't necessarily mean they are happy just ready to breed.

Many, many, many years ago, my best friend's sister had a Betta in an 8oz cup. She very rarely changed the water, and when you could see him through the murk, you could tell he was very sick. Yet, he had a bubble nest that overflowed his cup. He was neither healthy nor happy, but I guess since he couldn't swim in that tiny cup, all he could do was build a nest. Needless to say, he only lived a few months (3 if I remember correctly), but he made his nest until the day he died.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are competing, for her attention. Not weird at all.
And just an FYI, bubblenests don't necessarily mean they are happy just ready to breed.

Many, many, many years ago, my best friend's sister had a Betta in an 8oz cup. She very rarely changed the water, and when you could see him through the murk, you could tell he was very sick. Yet, he had a bubble nest that overflowed his cup. He was neither healthy nor happy, but I guess since he couldn't swim in that tiny cup, all he could do was build a nest. Needless to say, he only lived a few months (3 if I remember correctly), but he made his nest until the day he died.
That is the saddest story I have ever read!!!! T.T
Well now I know that's not a sign of a happy betta, although I have never seen my bettas make nests when they were sickly or had fin rot. I'll take your word for it.

Wait is it harmful for me to keep her there?. They will occasionally flare but they won't ram themselves into the glass. They just swim sideways back and forth. When they don't flare they work on their bubble nest, rest, or they will look for her without flaring their beards out just puff out and stare. Should I move them?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Competing for her attention

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I don't think it is harmful, unless they do start to hurt themselves, but that is unlikely. They will probably just try to lure her over with an impressive nest, not truly realizing that she can't come over.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it is harmful, unless they do start to hurt themselves, but that is unlikely. They will probably just try to lure her over with an impressive nest, not truly realizing that she can't come over.
Okay thank you ! They cause themselves more harm when they are near each other. Then they really try to ram at the bowl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts