Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister and I recently moved out of our house into an apartment. we slowly acclimated to the new water over the course of a few days.

My sister came in just a few minutes ago to show me my favorite girl, Sabino. All of our bettas have been cupped with lids, so the snails and each other have had literally no opportunity to do anything but posture at each other.

Sabino has what looks like chunks ripped up near the base of her tail. It doesn't look bloody and I'm unsure if it is a fungus or bacteria, but she is unable to physically do that damage to herself.

She's been in slightly colder water than she's used to, but it's still within an acceptable tropical range (We're still working on getting tanks set up and all that). The water has been sitting at about 76-77 and has been slowly been getting changed over (so ammonia is higher than it should be, but we would rather deal with some burns than osmotic shock)

It doesn't really look like a fungus, but I've never really dealt with one to be honest. It looks more like a big, rough scrape. I don't know where it might have come from since she's been in her cup the whole time.

We're going to start treating with aquarium salt in hopes it might be a bacteria or fungus that will respond to that, but has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

She's had zero contact with other fish or the snails and has been in her own cup for a few days now. All the cups have secured lids on them.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if they are the pet store lids check the underside of the lids. They have scratchy stuff sometimes and she could have been jumping and hitting the lid.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It's really weird. Maybe it's a stress related thing? Like flaring to hard even? I'm out of ideas. Sorry :(

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'mg going to get some pictures tomorrow to give a better idea of what's happened. right now I think she just needs to be stress free in the dark. don't think a camera flash would help her get her beauty sleep anyway.

she's acting a little stressed too, but nothing drastic. It's more that she's in a cup and not in her cave I think. I haven't tried feeding her yet, so I'm not really sure on that either.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to my sister, the scales around the area have pretty much all fallen off. she did have a solid white marking in that area, but we assumed it was her marbling color since she'll change from black to red from time to time along with changing patterns.

There's definitely chunks of flesh missing from the area.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
I figured due to the quick progression a strong antibiotic would be the best bet. The Maracyn and Maracyn II might work as well from my understanding.

Isn't OldFishLady also considered one of the authorities on here regarding Betta diseases and such?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here she is as of just a few minutes ago. The area is becoming redder and it looks like he flesh is starting to fall off. We really need help with this fast since it's gotten so much worse over the course of just a few days.

Housing
What size is your tank? .5 gal hospital
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Usually a sorority

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin Pellets, Spirulina, FD bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, 1 day fasting

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe Plus, Stress Coat, Aquarium salt 2 tsp/gal

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Open sores, scales falling off in area, redness and deterioration
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic and no appetite
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 Days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt, upped to 2 tsp/gal
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~1.5years

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Oooh, wow, my best guess (and gut feeling) is to treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic (I think Kanacyn is one?).

Hopefully someone else with more experience is able to help you out a bit more though.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We've got tetracycline, maracyn, and maracyn 2 on hand.

Unfortunately we won't be able to afford Kanaplex or Kanamyacin at the moment. I'm going to start a little fun so we can have those on hand for any other future issues.

I think we're going to mix Maracyn 1 and 2 for treatment though, but I want to hear other opinions before starting.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I had a girl with something like this, she didn't last long, about 24-36 hours after I discovered her. I had thought she had been attacked/bitten.

Second thought is bacterial infection, sorta like a tumor that had ruptured. I think the antibiotic is a good idea, Kanaplex is a fairly strong on, might want to run this by Sakura.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sent her a message earlier this morning, but she hasn't been online yet. Hopefully she will be soon.

I just did a water change for Sabino and I'm letting her calm down before starting up the air tube for the hospital tank. Hopefully the maracyns will be enough to take on whatever this is, since it literally sprouted up over the course of a day.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Hi Pata, I'm sorry I was offline for a day. Your poor girl! That looks like a bacterial infection to me. Mild stress at the move probably caused ever-present bacteria to take hold with a vengeance.

Check your pH. If it's over 7.2 or so, the Maracyn combo won't be very effective as it doesn't work well in high pHs. You can still try it even if you have a high pH but it just won't be as effective.

Keep her in the AQ salt. If the Maracyns fail to have any impact at all, PM me and I'll express mail you some Kanaplex for her.

Otherwise, you know the drill. Clean water, good food, etc. With you, she's got the best chance possible because I know you'll take excellent care of her.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not really sure as to what the pH is, but everyone else has had no difficulties with acclimating in the least. We lost a few mollies to sudden deaths, but I'm positive it was from lack of oxygen during the move since it was 2 in the transfer tank before we even moved them and then 2 the next day after the tank had been set up. We unfortunately lost our original molly mom, our male, one of the sickly babies, and unfortunately Sunny D the platy.

I know aquarium salt shouldn't be used in combination with medication, but should I make an exception for this case or take her off and start the maracyn combo?

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
I think in a few rare cases, DarkMoon has used AQ salt with meds. But when in doubt, ditch the salt and hit the meds. How is she acting otherwise?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
She's upset that I keep turning the light on and disturbing her nap time.

I'm gonna see if she'll eat some bloodworms for me since she's not big on spirulina and the pellets are the same old. She hasn't eaten since we moved in a few days ago.

She's holding herself in a more relaxed fashion than she did in the sorority and isn't clamping up at all. She isn't having any sbd issues or trouble swimming around.

She's just pale and obviously not feeling to well.

***** She scoffed at my offering of bloodworms. She's definitely not feeling to well.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
:( Poor girl, I wouldn't feel too well either if I had some big gashes in my sides. Normally, I would say she might have sustained some kind of damage in the move that then led to the wounds getting infected, but if she was transported in a little Petco/Petsmart cup, that isn't very likely as there's nothing to get caught on.

There are a few parasites that could cause this kind of damage but we can rule them out if she hasn't been darting or rubbing or anything like that.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
If you have Stress Coat, use double doses of that. A lot of slime coat will help her fight off any further infection.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts