Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went over to one of my tanks to do a water change and when I removed the lid I noticed that there was a strange film on the surface of the water.

I am very familiar with protein film on tanks but this film looked different. It's was shiny and look almost like a soap like film! I immediately did a water change and examined my other two tanks. The other 2 tanks do not have this strange film on them. My tanks are all the aqueon 2.5 mini bows and are heated to 80-82 degrees, filtered and cycled. The filters have just plain sponge in them rather than the carbon cartridge that comes with the tank set up - my other two tanks have this as well. Also this film was not there yesterday when I went to feed my fish.

I do not use ANY soap like product with my fish equipment and I use the same equipment for all of my tanks. In fact the last water change I ended up changing the water in all 3 tanks at once. Again neither of the other tanks are showing this strange film. I also condition with Prime. There is nothing in the tank besides Prime.

As for decorations - nothing is new. He doesn't not have a cave in his tank yet because I haven't found one I like. But he have some silk plants. They have been in his tank since November and have not caused any problems at all.

The fish is acting completely fine and there has been no change in his behavior. He is swimming around fine, no signs of inflamed gills and his fins are not clamped at all. He is also not breathing heavily at all.

Does anyone know what this film was/is? I am keeping a close to eye on his tank to make sure I doesn't come back.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Does it almost have like an oily sheen? My tank gets the same thing. Always has. Doesn't seem to bother the fish.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! it did like it had an oily sheen.

Thanks for your answer. Glad to know that its nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I get it too.
Now, I have no knowledge of this at all, just making a guess,
But maybe it comes from us washing our hands with soap or moisturizing or sanitizing earlier in the day?
You said it wasn't in your other tanks tho so idk unless you go to that tank first, or at least did one time and it stuck around.
That is, if you stuck your hands in there.
I would like to know where it comes from too, but that's all I can think of unless it's just more likely to happen with certain fish.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe. I know I usually change the water in that tank first but I don't put my hands in the water when i change it. I clean the gravel with a turkey baster and my hands never touch the water. I also wash my hands with water and vinegar before I clean my hands just to make sure i have no soap on them.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My 29g gets it. It is a protein layer of dust, pollen, ect. The way 2 fix it is adding more water disturbance, adding a airstone will help, or if u have a larger tank than a powerhead at the surface (that is what i do).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a filtered 2.5 gallon. I'll look into adding an air stone. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My tanks get this sometimes too. I'm very careful to rinse my hands before sticking them in, and I never use anything besides filter sponge to clean my tanks, so I know it's not soap. It doesn't seem to bother the tank inhabitants. It's not hard to get rid of - an airstone or water pump pointed at the surface will do the trick. Or, you could use it as an excuse to try out floating plants. ;-)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have the same thing

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I get it too. I have been using white paper towels to wipe it off the top before I do water changes.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have a filtered 2.5 gallon. I'll look into adding an air stone. Thank you so much.
Yes it will come even if the tank is filtered. My 29g has a fluval 306 and aqueon quietflow 10, but it seems 2 only be taken away by some major water disturbance, like a powerhead pointed 2 the surface, or an airstone.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
74 Posts
You should try getting a gravel vacum instead of a turkey baster, i have a 1.5 so it should be good for your tank. I use to get that oily stuff to but it stopped.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have money for a gravel vac at the moment so I'm using an turkey baster. If get some extra money in the coming months I'll look into it.

Thanks for your input everyone! I'll start using a paper towel to help clean up the film and look into an airstone or gravel vac.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't have money for a gravel vac at the moment so I'm using an turkey baster. If get some extra money in the coming months I'll look into it.

Thanks for your input everyone! I'll start using a paper towel to help clean up the film and look into an airstone or gravel vac.
The manual gravel vacs are fairly inexpensive. I just bought the smallest size one from PetSmart the other day for my 2.5 gallon for like $8.99. I highly recommend them! You just manually pump the water until it starts flowing freely. :)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yeah, I get this too. It's in my unfiltered tank, but not my filtered one. Aside from the filter and some size difference they're pretty similar, it's just the filter is the Aqueon MiniBow one and that disturbs the surface a lot. My fish doesn't seem to mind it, but I try to scoop as much out as possible when I do water changes.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The manual gravel vacs are fairly inexpensive. I just bought the smallest size one from PetSmart the other day for my 2.5 gallon for like $8.99. I highly recommend them! You just manually pump the water until it starts flowing freely. :)
I know how much gravel vacs are but I still can't afford $8.99 at the moment. Its on my list of things I would like to pick up but until I have extra money, I will not be buying it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oliver's 5 gallon tank has it most of the time. His Whisper filter, which I dislike, doesn't disturb the water hardly at all. He doesn't seem to mind the film. I'll have to try the paper towel method. My girls' 10 gallon tank hasn't had that issue yet, but their filter is a lot more powerful and even buffered.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It may also be from the foods you are feeding him. If they have a high oil content, this could happen. Especailly if the food isn't eaten right away.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feed my bettas Omega One pellets so I don't think there is much oil in them to begin with?

And my fish eat right away, I offer one pellet at a time and make sure the other one is eaten before I add enough. I'm very OCD about uneated food in the tank.

And oil in the food doesn't explain why only one of my tanks have it since I feel all my fish the same food from the same container.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts