Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old dragon scaled male betta (Iroh). He is in a 5 gallon heated and filtered tank. 5 days ago I put a platy in with him, who is currently doing wonderful. Today Iroh was hanging at the bottom the tank more than usual and I noticed dark to black discoloration on his side and posterior back. He can swim, although he's very lethargic. I put a pH neutralizing tab just in case that's affecting his energy, and I put a safeguard tab in as well. Anyone have any idea what he has?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Little bit of an update, he's swimming around a bit more now. My phone is a bit broken so I have no way to provide photos right now. He's just lost a lot of color and has those weird black spots. I will try to add photos if I can however

·
Registered
227 Posts
Could you fill out as much of this form as you can? Also a picture of the betta would be very helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 74F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? One Sunshine wag platy

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Bloodworms occasionally
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1-2 Pellets Daily, increase/decreaseif needed

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every 3 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Tetra Betta Safe

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Unknown
Nitrite: Unknown
Nitrate: Unknown
pH: 7.1
Hardness (GH): Unknown
Alkalinity (KH): Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Bluish green body turned to reddish with black spots
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? lethargic, weaker swimming, floating around instead of swimming
Is your Betta still eating? One or two bites
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Lifeguard by tetra
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Fin Biting (6 months clean!)
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? 2 Years, no

I only have one kinda bad photo. He was a standard blue green with red fins betta. He was normal color yesterday, this morning two black spots, tonight half body is blackish and the other half is reddish. He can swim, he's choosing not to and a lot of it is upside down or he's just floating. But he seems to be able to right himself if he chooses.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts