Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male that did wonderfully for 6 months. He suddenly became pale and has a grey tone to his scales. He eats fine and is very active. I assumes it may have been a standard fungus and used Microre-Lift due to it being a planted tank with snails. Water tests well I am at a loss because he doesn't seem to be responding any advice is very welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm sorry your betta isn't feeling well! Please fill out this form so we have the info we need, thanks:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 15
Does it have a filter? Fruval
Does it have a heater? YES
What temperature is your tank?79
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Water
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 5 Neons

Food:
What food brand do you use? hikari
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? NO
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day 4 pellets

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? bi weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? well through reverse osmosis
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vac
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? API

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5
Hardness (GH): 30
Alkalinity (KH): 120

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 weeks
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? yes Dull At first then Pale with rough looking body very light
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? NO actually have to record and take a screen shot to get a pic
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes daily with Microbe-Lift
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 Year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? was almost dead in half cup of water

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry your betta isn't feeling well! Please fill out this form so we have the info we need, thanks:
I have filled out the form completely

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
My homeopathic remedy is blackwater extract. Brew a strong tea with either Indian Almonds Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea. They both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Treat with water conditioner and add to tank until it is tinted brown. Darker is better. Store leftovers in refrigerator. In addition, I also float a leaf or a teabag in the tank.

If I know I am going to be using for a while I like to make a half-gallon or so at a time. The more concentrated the less you need to use.

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
Some who use commercial blackwater extract, which has additives, use a bit of calcium for the snails. This is also when the pH is around 6.0.

From everything I've read and experienced with pure tannins, there should be no issues. However, you could add cuttlebone if you wish. I feed a calcium-enriched snail/shrimp food I buy on eBay.

I've used in Betta-based community tanks with Tetra and Rasbora and they were fine. I keep a leaf or teabag or two in my 20 longs so they are not true "blackwater" tanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some who use commercial blackwater extract, which has additives, use a bit of calcium for the snails. This is also when the pH is around 6.0.

From everything I've read and experienced with pure tannins, there should be no issues. However, you could add cuttlebone if you wish. I feed a calcium-enriched snail/shrimp food I buy on eBay.

I've used in Betta-based community tanks with Tetra and Rasbora and they were fine. I keep a leaf or teabag or two in my 20 longs so they are not true "blackwater" tanks.
Almond leaves came in today :) how many would you use for a 15 gal Fruval

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
I usually brew 3-4 in a two-quart pan and let the leaves steep for at least an hour. This will make a concentration that is black. I also take those leaves and float one in the tank. Store the leftover leaves (using plastic wrap) and extract in the refrigerator.

Add until the water is a tan color.

@Rainbo ; @Rana ; @Veloran for other ideas.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In the pictures, it seems like the grayish areas are on top of his scales, rather than the scales themselves being gray. Does that match with what you are seeing when you look at your betta?

Because of how it looks to me, and the fact that it hasn't seemed to progress very much since you first posted, I would guess it's a relatively mild bacterial infection, mostly lingering in/on his slime coat. Because his behavior isn't changed I don't think it's internal, and luckily slime coat infections are not often dangerous. The fact that his tankmates are also fine seems to suggest it's not very vicious as well.

In addition to adding the IAL to his tank, I'd suggest trying a "dip" with Aquarium salt to encourage his slime coat to shed, which may be all he needs to remove the infection. To do a dip, take some of the water from the tank and dissolve 1 Tablespoon per gallon of AQ salt in it. Leave your betta in this salt water for five to ten minutes, unless he starts freaking out in which case take him out immediately.

If the infection is mild and surface-level, one dip may be all you need to knock it down to a level he can clear up himself. Otherwise, you can repeat it once daily for three days (Or try again at half-strength if he reacted poorly the first day). If it doesn't help after three days, the problem may be more stubborn and need a different approach.

After the dip you may see pieces of his slime coat actually shed off of him and if so, don't panic- the slime coat is meant to be disposable, so he will already be working on a healthy new layer to replace what he loses.

I can never remember which it is, but either StressCoat or StressGuard is recommended to help encourage healthy slime coats, and is considered to be mildly antiseptic. So if you have some you can add it, if you want.

An aside, what is the specific name of the Microbe-Lift product you used? When I searched the name I found bacterial supplements for cycling a tank, not anything I recognized as medicine. So I just want to make sure I am looking at the same thing you are talking about.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the pictures, it seems like the grayish areas are on top of his scales, rather than the scales themselves being gray. Does that match with what you are seeing when you look at your betta?

Because of how it looks to me, and the fact that it hasn't seemed to progress very much since you first posted, I would guess it's a relatively mild bacterial infection, mostly lingering in/on his slime coat. Because his behavior isn't changed I don't think it's internal, and luckily slime coat infections are not often dangerous. The fact that his tankmates are also fine seems to suggest it's not very vicious as well.

In addition to adding the IAL to his tank, I'd suggest trying a "dip" with Aquarium salt to encourage his slime coat to shed, which may be all he needs to remove the infection. To do a dip, take some of the water from the tank and dissolve 1 Tablespoon per gallon of AQ salt in it. Leave your betta in this salt water for five to ten minutes, unless he starts freaking out in which case take him out immediately.

If the infection is mild and surface-level, one dip may be all you need to knock it down to a level he can clear up himself. Otherwise, you can repeat it once daily for three days (Or try again at half-strength if he reacted poorly the first day). If it doesn't help after three days, the problem may be more stubborn and need a different approach.

After the dip you may see pieces of his slime coat actually shed off of him and if so, don't panic- the slime coat is meant to be disposable, so he will already be working on a healthy new layer to replace what he loses.

I can never remember which it is, but either StressCoat or StressGuard is recommended to help encourage healthy slime coats, and is considered to be mildly antiseptic. So if you have some you can add it, if you want.

An aside, what is the specific name of the Microbe-Lift product you used? When I searched the name I found bacterial supplements for cycling a tank, not anything I recognized as medicine. So I just want to make sure I am looking at the same thing you are talking about.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I usually brew 3-4 in a two-quart pan and let the leaves steep for at least an hour. This will make a concentration that is black. I also take those leaves and float one in the tank. Store the leftover leaves (using plastic wrap) and extract in the refrigerator.

Add until the water is a tan color.

@Rainbo ; @Rana ; @Veloran for other ideas.
Is this good

1 - 20 of 33 Posts