Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
One thing stands out to me and that is that you are using R/O water. What are you remineralizing the water with? R/O shouldn't be used by itself in a freshwater tank, it needs to have the minerals added back in, or the fish will slowly get sick. I'm wondering if that's what's going on with your fish.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
One thing stands out to me and that is that you are using R/O water. What are you remineralizing the water with? R/O shouldn't be used by itself in a freshwater tank, it needs to have the minerals added back in, or the fish will slowly get sick. I'm wondering if that's what's going on with your fish.
I hadnt other than the plant foods and media they are planted in what would you suggest???

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
R/O water does not contain the necessary minerals and trace elements fish need to maintain health. One produce is SeaChem Equilibrium; another is SeaChem Replenish. Rainbo can tell you which one you would need. But I believe Equilibrium is the one SeaChem recommends for planted aquariums.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
R/O water does not contain the necessary minerals and trace elements fish need to maintain health. One produce is SeaChem Equilibrium; another is SeaChem Replenish. Rainbo can tell you which one you would need. But I believe Equilibrium is the one SeaChem recommends for planted aquariums.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
I'm doing a bit of poking around to try and figure out which product would be best for your tank, I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to remineralizing aquariums and don't want to give you misinformation.

From what I'm reading on the seachem support board they do recommend Equilibrium for planted tanks. Here's a quote from their board, "Thanks for the post roksiak! We recommend Equilibrium for planted systems, and Replenish for fish only systems because Replenish contains higher levels sodium and chloride than Equilibrium which are beneficial for fish health, but may be stressful to plants, while Equilibrium contains minerals that are beneficial for both plant and fish health.

I hope this helps! "

They say that you can safely use their Flourish products with it.

What I'm not sure of is if you will need a buffer or not, and I wouldn't even rate myself as a novice when it comes to how to buffer, or what products you'd need to do so. About all I can tell you is that a buffer helps stabilize the PH level of the tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm doing a bit of poking around to try and figure out which product would be best for your tank, I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to remineralizing aquariums and don't want to give you misinformation.

From what I'm reading on the seachem support board they do recommend Equilibrium for planted tanks. Here's a quote from their board, "Thanks for the post roksiak! We recommend Equilibrium for planted systems, and Replenish for fish only systems because Replenish contains higher levels sodium and chloride than Equilibrium which are beneficial for fish health, but may be stressful to plants, while Equilibrium contains minerals that are beneficial for both plant and fish health.

I hope this helps! "

They say that you can safely use their Flourish products with it.

What I'm not sure of is if you will need a buffer or not, and I wouldn't even rate myself as a novice when it comes to how to buffer, or what products you'd need to do so. About all I can tell you is that a buffer helps stabilize the PH level of the tank.
Do you think a 50% change with non RO water would be better??? I can bypass our system. Our water has iron and Calcium deposits.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts