Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! My new betta has developed some form of holes in his head and I am looking to get help figuring out what it may be as I've seen the hole in the head is not common in bettas and he does have a facial deformity! He is still active and swimming and eating but I want to know what it could be, and how I can help him get better!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? Originally housed in a 10 gal. community tank (with a mystery snail, pleco, and Cory catfish) but is currently alone in a 5 gal. Hospital tank
Does it have a filter? Both have filters
Does it have a heater? Both have heaters
What temperature is your tank? About 77 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No in both
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? See above.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day, a good pinch or so

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Just standard dechlorinator by api

Water Parameters: currently uncertain. I ran out and shops are closed so I cannot get more at the moment or get my water tested

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday (Monday June 1st) when I turned on the light for his tank. It was not there the previous evening
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He developed two wounds on the side of his face that previously had a deformity. They are hole-like in appearance and air can even slip through the one above his eye!
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It honestly hasn't. Hes still up and swims fine.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes but he does do flips in pain when he swallows the pellets
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes I have him in a 5 gal. Hospital tank with betta fix in it
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? He is half blind and has a facial deformity on his right side of his face.
How long have you owned your Betta? A little over two weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? He had the facial deformity and blind eye when I bought him. But that was it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
Can you post a "before" photo?

Could it have been that the tumors fell off? If that's the case, you can go the homeopathic/herbal route as with the Bettafix. Indian Almond Leaves and plain Rooibos Tea have both antifungal and antibacterial properties and do the essentially the same as Bettafix but are stronger and, IME, more effective. Make a strong "tea" out of either; add dechlorinator and pour into tank until water is tinted brown. I like to make enough so I don't have to brew a new pot each time I do a water change. It is also good to hurt to also let a leaf or teabag float in the tank to give some added "oomph."

Change 50% of his water every other day.

If the IAL or Rooibos don't seem to be keeping the wound clear, you may have to go to something stronger. I am sure someone else can advise you on those. As I never use them I could only give you what I would Google.

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
Looks like a growth or tumor of some kind. The good news is it fell off and keeping his water clean and using IAL or Rooibos should help him heal. You can also use Aquarium Salt @ 1 teaspoon per gallon; completely dissolved. When doing water changes you need to add only as much AS as you removed. I try to remove one gallon and replace with a gallon of water with one teaspoon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a specific brand of aquarium salt that you would recommend? and is it okay to use it in conjunction with the tea and leaves?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts