Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, my betta fish, Aomine, jumped out of his smaller container when I was trying to take him out of his tank. He landed on my laptop and then flipped onto the chair. I immediately put him back into his tank. He was shocked for a little, but now he's swimming around and acting perfectly fine.

He just finished recovering from fin rot a couple of days ago. His tail fin was shredding and his bottom fin had a decent size rip. The tail had completely healed up and was growing back, and the bottom fin still had the rip, but it wasn't getting worse.

When I picked him up, I must have ripped his bottom fin because now it not only has the rip from the fin rot but another decent sized gash. His tail fin was fine last night, but when I checked him this afternoon, it has started to shred again.

I used Aquarium Salt to heal him from the fin rot. Since he has even more rips now, I was thinking about trying Stress Coat. I've read several reviews and forums suggesting it. I know I'm not supposed to use water conditioner with it since it is water conditioner, but should I keep using the Aquarium Salt with it?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
What water conditioner are you using? If it's not a great one, I'd suggest replacing it with Stresscoat.
Can we get some pictures of his tail? It sounds like he's either ripping or biting it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using BettaBowl Plus. It have not had any problems with it. I only want to switch because I think something better would probably help him out with all the problems he currently has. I just want to know if I should keep using the Aquarium Salt in conjunction with Stress Coat. I don't want to per se overdose him with treatments.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You can, they do not cancel each other out. I would stop using AQ salt at all though, or not start using it. It does nothing to help with healing tears and rips, and it's pretty bad for the fish too.

The Stresscoat a)will help with fin healing and b)temporarily binds with ammonia, and can help keep levels down in small unfiltered tanks. That being said, it does not replace proper tank maintenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts