Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many posts where owners worry about too much Flaring stressing their fish.

I consider it good exercise! It is a natural function for betta's, why try to prevent it?????:shock: I say that Flaring shows a healthy betta doing what he is born to do!!! A Betta is not a sleep all day couch potato, he is a territorial dynamo!! A True Fighter!!!

Is there some real study of Betta flaring causing death???

Kinda silly if you think about it.;-)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I too consider it good exercise but it must be done in moderation, just a few minutes a day to keep fish's fin in good condition and the fish in good health.

It IS stressful on the fish if he's exposed too much to another fish or his own reflection. It is AGAINST the nature of the betta to share close quarters with another fish and he will want to fight and reclaim his teritory.
In the animal world, pretty much any species who feels their territory is being threatened will fight for it... to the death. Bettas are no different and should not be exposed to that constantly.

I know of no studies but there's possible complications from flaring too much that can make your betta ill and kill him if not treated. For example, tail bitting can turn into finrot which can kill your fish.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It IS stressful on the fish if he's exposed too much to another fish or his own reflection. It is AGAINST the nature of the betta to share close quarters with another fish and he will want to fight and reclaim his teritory.
I don't find this to be true. Males kept close together just lose interest after a while.... I think they learn that that other fish is not a threat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeh, I also think flaring betta is good, I often let my bettas flaring to each other for 2-3 minutes..it makes them more active, and they will start to ignore or stop flaring to each other if they're exposed for too long..they will flare again after unexposed for few days..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't find this to be true. Males kept close together just lose interest after a while.... I think they learn that that other fish is not a threat.
reflection is a big one, as they cant get away from it, unlike another fish witch they can swim away from some tanks can reflection from all 4 sides and that can make a fish realy stressed

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
reflection is a big one, as they cant get away from it, unlike another fish witch they can swim away from some tanks can reflection from all 4 sides and that can make a fish realy stressed
What are the symptoms of this stress? I don't see any adverse symptoms in my fish.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Honestly I only card with heavy finned males. It's a bit of a hassle trying to card all of them and remove the cards. I really don't see a problem with flaring.

As stated reflection is an issue since the fish can go at it for hours. With another fish it's just "GRRR RAWR I FLARE... ooohhh something interesting.".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts