Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
As some of you may know, I recently got two new female bettas: coral and pearl. I had them together in a ten gallon for a couple days and quickly separated them. When I had gotten pearl, she had stress stripes all over her body. I figured she was a new shipment and her stripes would go away quickly. In the ten gallon, her stripes would disappear and reappear. After I moved her, she got really aggressive towards everything around her. Recently I caught her flaring at an eraser I had left on my desk. This morning, her stripes had disappeared and she appeared to be acting normal (besides attacking the filter) but the second I turned on the light in the tank her stress stripes were back and dark as ever. My tank has the stoning lights but I never buy them on as I don’t want to stress her out worse so I use the normale option. I don’t know much about stress stripes and would really appreciate the help. I don’t want her stress to kill her!!

·
Registered
~Neo (♂ betta) ~Lucy (♀ platy) ~Andromeda (♀ molly) ~Otto (♂ oto catfish) ~Archibald ( ♂ mys. snail)
337 Posts
First off, I didn't see your previous post about this so I'm not sure what all you have in your ten gallon, if it's only those two females or if you have more in the tank. But if you're going to have multiple females living together, I'm not 100% certain about the number but I think you'll want to have a minimum of 5 or 6. I know there are plenty of others who know more about this than I do. But the reason for this is female bettas will need a sorority to work out their "pecking order" if you will. They'll literally take little nips at each other to establish their rank in the sorority. Too few female bettas will be problematic. The dominant one will take out all of her aggression on the one other female betta, causing a lot of stress for the one on the receiving end. On top of being introduced to a new environment, that probably has a lot to do with her stress stripes. So it was good to separate them. Even if you didn't see them going at it, it doesn't mean it wasn't happening when you weren't in the room. It may take a little time for her to adjust to a other new environment, but the fact that her stripes have disappeared is a good sign. For now I'd try to keep her in a dimly lit area. It can help calm her and become less triggered by new things. Otherwise API Stress Coat or even Kordon Fish Protector can help relieve some of that stress. There's a person on the forum... I think the name is Xskully? I'm pretty sure he has a lot of experience with sororities and is a good person to reach out to with questions.

Reactions: X skully X

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Hi, I honestly don’t know why she is still showing the stripes if she is alone now. My guess is after being with coral in a tank she could be seeing her own reflection in the glass when you turn on the light and thinks it’s another betta. She is probably too old to be showing juvenile stripes still. My babies lost the striping after 4 months old. You can try plain white paper on the back and sides of the tank and see if that helps? That worked for me with a few of my more frisky males. I tried black plastic as a background and the shine from the plastic still showed a reflection. I admit the white isn’t great to look at but the reflection is gone and my males calmed down significantly. If your tank is too open she may feel insecure. She would feel safer with a bushy silk plant to hide in. One 12 inch silk plant can do wonders for a betta feeling insecure.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you I really appreciate the advice. Her stripes have seem to gone overnight and are very faint. I have a cichlid hideout for her on order but it hasn’t arrived. She has 3 Amazon swords in her tank as well. I will try the black paper on the back of the tank wall an see if that helps. This is the cichlid hideout: Top Fin® Cichlid Rock Aquarium Ornament | fish Ornaments | PetSmart I am planning on sanding down the rough areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts