Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend my betta jumped out of his tank and was declared dead by my parents while I was away at a sleepover. So of course I went out and bought a new betta, who is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, but has a very different personality from my last betta.

This betta seems to be afraid of me.. at least sometimes, because my last betta loved playing the "follow the finger" game & would always sort of greet me when I came over to the tank. This new betta will back away from my finger when I put it up to the tank, and is CONSTANTLY flaring. I know it's good for bettas to flare, but if he's constantly seeing his reflection on the glass, is it stressing him out too much?

He also doesn't seem to like eating very much (it takes him forever to come up for food, and even when he does come up he'll spit it out). It's probably just the type of food though, I've been meaning to change it because of the ingredients and such

But basically the bottom line is should I turn off his aquarium lighting? Do you think all these behaviors are because he's too stressed? Thank you!

(another note!! he seems a lot friendlier with the light off, i had it off last night and he came over to me :) also whenever i turn on the light there's this one corner that he will go in, and he will CONSTANTLY flare, it's crazy!! my last fish only flared once in a while)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I would definitely turn off the light, avoid reflections by making sure the outside of his tank is brighter than the inside. For food I've come to prefer pellets with a bloodworm once a week. Make sure his water temp is ok, 72-82, 72-75 will keep him calm but 76-82 will help him heal of he is sick. Make sure the water is clean also. (Just stupid reminders)

If he is still oober stressed after a couple days try almond leaf

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you guys! i've had the light off for a while now and he seems much more relaxed! he even comes up to greet me now! you were right about him being a completely different fish with the light off :) i'll take a trip to the pet store as well for some pellets, even though he's eating normally now (like a little pig <3) i still think it would be good to get him used to a higher quality food earlier! thank you guys for the help :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
My take would be, he is trying to get used to the new tank?

It happened to some of my bettas when I first brought them back home.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Some Betta take a while getting settled into their new environment. He'll most likely come around in a few days.

If the light is causing trouble, you can try slowly adjusting him to the light if you really want the light to be there. Try dimming it by taping cloth around it and week by week, lessen the dimming by switching to something more see through (paper, paper towel, toilet paper, be creative~). Bettas all have different personalities, it's really interesting seeing how fish have personalities hehe, and some may never take a liking to the new light source.

For any Betta, but especially shyer ones I would suggest some live plants (or other decorations) to give them a safe place when they feel like they need one.

And yes, Betta are known to be really good jumpers (sadly it's not good for them). This problem can be dealt with by either lowering the top of the water level from the top of the tank by around 2-3 inches, or by buying/making a lid. If you go to any plastic selling store, they can cut a piece of plexiglass (it doesn't need to be thick, unless your tank is huge) for around $4.30 per square foot. Or if you can find a store with a scrap plexiglass bin in there, you might find a piece or two that is perfect for a lid (they usually do not cut scrap unless you're an old customer).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts