Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned my bettas tank for the first time and he seems to be acting strangly. I acclimated him again. Is he just doing it because taking him out might have stressed him out a bit?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set his cup in the water for about ten minutes then I slowly let some of the new water in like two times. Just like I did when I first put him in the tank
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing should be different. I used the same water, same water conditioner. The water has been sitting in my room so it was already the right temp. I don't know why he's acting so weird
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
that actually isn't proper acclimation.

You float his cup in the new tank until the water in the cup reaches the same temperature as the water in the tank (this can take up to 30 minutes). Then every 10 minutes you remove some of the water from the cup and replace it with tank water. You do this every 10 minutes for 30-45minutes. Then you use a net and release him into the tank. If you do not have a net then dump as much of the water in the cup out as you can and then release him.

My guess is that there was a lot of ammonia in the cup or that the new water was at a different PH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He seems to be acting a bit more normally now I fed him and he ate and everything. Did he get used to it or is there something I should do?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
He will get used to it most likely.

However, in the future follow the acclimation process i described above. Not acclimating him properly can send him into shock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.